Bandwidth limiter

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ospasha, Nov 20, 2010.

1. ospasha macrumors newbie

Hi guys

I want to limit my bandwidth on my home wireless network, the problem is am not an expert in the networking area
    i have an SMC wireless modem
    i want to find a software that will help me to control my roommates crazy downloading, which make us pay alot of money for internet

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I wouldn't limit his connection. Install iStat to your Mac, that shows how much data you have used since the last shut down. Simply pay for the data you used and let your roommate pay for his usage. That's fair game. Limiting his bandwidth will only cause you troubles with him.

The best way is to discuss with him and not to work behind his back

3. dknightd macrumors 6502

I agree. You do not want to limit your bandwidth, what you want is for your roommate to pay their fair share. Maybe time to get separate connections??? I don't know how your provider charges. Talking and cooperation is the way to go IMO.

4. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

getting an unlimited plan?

but I agree with one of the posters above: the best solution is to have separate internet plans. then his bandwidth usage doesn't slow you down and you avoid any arguments over who is using what.

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

He may be outside the U.S. where unlimited plans are pretty uncommon, at least in my experience :/

OP, I'm not sure if it is on mac or not but Netlimiter will tell you your bandwidth usage. I'm not an expert on how to use it though and you will need to figure it so it doesn't pick up internal traffic.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110