Bandwidth usage on ATV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Redsfan, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Redsfan macrumors regular

Somebody asked me a question I thought I knew the answer to. If someone access their itunes account on their ATV and watches an old movie let's say that they have previously bought, during playback are they using bandwidth to watch this?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It depends on how long ago the movie was last watched on the Apple TV. Apple TVs do cache media on their 8GB of internal storage. If the whole movie is cached, very little data will be used to playback the movie. If it is not cached at all, it will be downloaded from Apple's servers to the Apple TV using a large amount of data.

3. Redsfan thread starter macrumors regular

ah, interesting, thanks.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

also if you watch something else it will push the older media out of memory. The 8GB in the aTV is only good for about one movie.

if you've downloaded the files to your computer, and then use the computer app on your aTV to play the movie instead of the movie app, you won't use any bandwidth. it will come off your hard drive over the local network and not touch your outside connection. You will have to have a computer awake and running iTunes though.