Bandwidth!!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by doo, Oct 8, 2011.

1. doo macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a imac desktop. I am a newly converted Mac user. When I have a few torrents downloading, I find that I cannot surf at all. The torrents uses ALL my bandwidth in the download causing me unable to surf. I have limited the download and upload bandwidth on the torrents but this doesn't help at all. The only way I can surf is to stop the torrents download ENTIRELY which sucks! I also have a Macbook which I use on WIFI and this is not affected at all. I am guessing it's something with the Imac.

Has anyone else experienced this issue before? Any possible solutions? I was using a old ass windows PC before this purchase and had absolutely no issue with this multitasking at all.

Thanks all in advance for your advice.

2. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

I would read the instructions on the torrent client and find a way to limit your bandwidth used by that torrent client.

Don't be surprised if someone pushes your topic to a software or APP section of the forums. Some people get pretty specific of how things are organized here.

3. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Don't be surprised if this post gets locked and burnt to the ground. This is a user problem, not a Mac problem.

4. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

What client are you using? In just about everyone there's an option to set an allotted bandwidth for the client (eg, 1 mb/s).

5. doo thread starter macrumors newbie

Let me angle my question a little differently. Being a user of an OLD OLD windows PC, I have never ever had any of these issues before (i.e having to limit my upload/download bandwidth of my torrents while surfing). As a matter a fact, as I am writing this now, I have stopped ALL torrents and yet, this page itself has been unable to load some images.

Conversations with other mac users doing the same kinda stuff have revealed they don't encounter the same issues. So just wondering if this is something common encountered or I am simply lucky.

6. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

I've only encountered this using usenet, which tends to be much faster than torrents. Usenet can easily max out my FiOS connection as I see speeds of around 3.5-4.0 MB/s (that's megabytes, not bits) in which case things tend to load rather slowly. Like I said, I've never encountered this with torrents so you may be right in guessing it's something else.

I do not know a whole lot about networking, but is it possible it could be something with ports?

7. doo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your response.. Now I can't even surf more than 3 safaris at the same time and have my gmail push to me... looks like Apple care it is..

8. aednichols macrumors member

aednichols

My $0.02:

A possible cause of the browsing slowdown is your router. Why? The little white boxes most of us have can't handle the 200+ simultaneous connections that torrent clients make/accept. The slowdowns can be totally unpredictable, affecting some machines and not others.

I would advise the OP to limit the simultaneous connections in his torrent client to, e.g. 40 or 50; this will not significantly affect download performance, but may well solve the problem.

9. doo thread starter macrumors newbie

I still get the issue when i totally shut torrents off (i.e NO downloading at all). I can't seem to browse more than three tabs of Safari and have my emails pushed to me sucessfully even with torrents off. This can't be a common issue? I am comparing performance with my 7 year old windows pc which I just switched from.

10. aednichols macrumors member

aednichols

Have you tried shutting off the torrents and then rebooting your router? It may be the case that the whacky state of the router persists even after stopping the torrents.

11. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

My guess as to why you are having problems browsing when on your iMac vs. your other computers is because you are maxing out your bandwidth on the iMac, and you aren't on your other computers. This just means your Mac is doing a better job then your other computers. The other possibility is because, for whatever reason your iMac's bandwidth is restricted, and your other computer's bandwidth is not.

You can test all this by going to speedtest.net on all of your computers and post the results for each computer. Run the test twice on each computer, once while downloading a torrent and one while not. (Make sure you are downloading the same torrent on each machine, and you only test one at a time).

Post your results and we can help you more. The more data we have the better.
    Apple Care won't help at all, but give it a try if you feel otherwise.

12. doo thread starter macrumors newbie

Haven't tried it but I will now.. But I would hate to think I would need to do this every time I stop torrents and need to "reboot" the router.

13. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

If this fixes it, perhaps it's time for a new router?