Bang & Olufsen Debuts Premium Wireless Speakers With AirPlay Support

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bang & Olufsen recently unveiled a pair of new wireless speakers, the BeoSound 1 and BeoSound 2, which provide 360-degree sound displacement in cone-shaped aluminum exteriors with the added bonus of support for AirPlay (via Engadget). The speakers are priced at a premium for their sound quality and top-shelf construction, with the BeoSound 1 running for 1,295 euros (about $1,450) while the BeoSound 2 costs 1,695 euros (just under $2,000).

The difference between the two speakers lies in their size, with the BeoSound 1 acting as a more portable alternative with a rechargeable battery that lasts up to 16 hours. The higher-quality BeoSound 2 requires an AC power outlet for all of its functions. Both include 360-degree sound projection to ensure high quality music playback wherever the speakers are located, but the BeoSound 2 also packs in a "sonic power" feature that produces "goosebump-inducing" sound.

Besides AirPlay, for streaming music each speaker supports Bluetooth, Google Cast, and DLNA, as well as the ability to connect multiple Bang & Olufsen speakers into a multi-room, synchronous listening experience. Hidden on the aluminum body are a set of touch controls that let users access music playback options without needing to open a smartphone.

Combined with each speaker's integrated cloud connection to services including Spotify, Deezer, QPlay, and TuneIn, the company says smartphone battery life will be preserved, and any calls, texts, and games can continue without interrupting the music. The connected BeoMusic app supports music control and the ability to setup the speaker's multi-room listening feature. While each speaker includes AirPlay integration for hassle-free playback from an Apple device, Bang & Olufsen's app itself lacks Apple Music integration, but an Apple Watch extension to the app is also available.

The company says the design of the speaker allows for the bass to emerge from the bottom, while the opening at the top generates better acoustics. Aluminum was chosen as a material for the speakers' construction due to its "acoustic properties," as well, which are said to include: "material stiffness, avoidance of dissonance from joints and corners, and the elimination of distortion."

The BeoSound 1 is available to purchase now, but the BeoSound 2 won't ship until sometime in October. Although the company has a few cheaper alternatives for wireless music playback, many of their products are known for being high quality accessories at top-tier prices.

Article Link: Bang & Olufsen Debuts Premium Wireless Speakers With AirPlay Support

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I love my B&O BeoPlay headphones a lot, but most of their products are above the price range that I'm comfortable spending on speakers and such. But the design and construction of some of their stuff is simply amazing. Although these new speakers kind of remind me of the Glade air fresheners. :p

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
I got to see these last week in Frankfurt as a sneak preview under-wraps, and they sound really great! It's a bit heavy to carry around, but it's nice to have a battery in there.

muddygun

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2016
"Why are you looking Grave" is a great song by Mew. Nice to see not so well-known songs in the ad, makes me feel like they know good music.

Reactions: ErikGrim

Shadow Runner

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
I'm still trying to figure out the use case for these. At those prices, why not just put dedicated speakers in the rooms you want music in? Are they suggesting to move the wired one around your house? Who spends $1.5k on a battery powered, traffic-cone-shaped speaker of the future?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I'm still trying to figure out the use case for these. At those prices, why not just put dedicated speakers in the rooms you want music in? Are they suggesting to move the wired one around your house? Who spends $1.5k on a battery powered, traffic-cone-shaped speaker of the future?
It's a niche item, as you can see by the price range. They appeal to a certain person and a certain modern aesthetic.

And yes, you can move them around the house. It's designed for that: as mentioned in the article, it's 360 degree sound.

I wouldn't buy one -- well, certainly couldn't afford to buy one, even if I wanted to -- but I can see the appeal.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I see the UE Boom2 as cheap as $135. I could afford that and a dedicated iPad to stream to it for half the price of the metal cone. I have a Boom2 and really like it, and I utilize its water proofness frequently too. Does this fancy speaker really sound that much better? Is that even possible?

earthTOmitchel

Contributing Editor
Staff member
Mar 6, 2015
Louisiana
I love my B&O BeoPlay headphones a lot, but most of their products are above the price range that I'm comfortable spending on speakers and such. But the design and construction of some of their stuff is simply amazing. Although these new speakers kind of remind me of the Glade air fresheners. :p
The bigger one reminds me of a Dalek
[doublepost=1472658947][/doublepost]
I see the UE Boom2 as cheap as $135. I could afford that and a dedicated iPad to stream to it for half the price of the metal cone. I have a Boom2 and really like it, and I utilize its water proofness frequently too. Does this fancy speaker really sound that much better? Is that even possible?
I agree. I got a JBL Pulse 2 for 50% off at best buy over the summer and I love it, but I'm no audio connoisseur so I don't really need my music to sound... better. Although, if I'm being honest, I'd love to hear what these B&O speakers sound like JUST to see if I could hear a difference.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

ksnell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
Texas
I am not sure I fully understand this 360 degree sound thing, as typically something like this I would set on a shelf in the room (I have the Bose Soundlink 3, which I love). There is a reason speakers are typically directional.

I guess if you spend the $2k on it, you want it on a table in the center of the room getting all the attention.

Reactions: Happy-Mac

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Phwoar... these and the Horizon TV. I guess I better buy some lottery tickets!

jazzdrums1979

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2014
These are more overpriced than Bose speakers.
This particular unit is very expensive but it worth to the lucky individual with the means. As the owner of many Airplay speakers including Bose, B&O, and the high-end JBL products, I have to say the sub $1K B&O A6 has the best sound for the buck. Doesn't matter if you're playing jazz, rock, or electronic. Fills the room very nicely whether you have it on 3 or turned up to 11.

simonmet

macrumors 68020
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
These look pretty nice from a design perspective at least.

Still love my Bowers & Wilkins MM-1s but I've been thinking of an upgrade to AirPlay speakers for a while.

Until then AirPlay via AirPort Express will have to do.

MadDane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2015
I saw the BeoSound 1 today, but unfortunately I did not get a change to listen to it. However, they definitely have a very different appeal to, for example, the BeoPlay A1 and A2 (I have the A2). As already mentioned, these speakers are for a different segment. I can see the appeal, although I will most likely never own any of these. I will stick to the A2 for now :)

ipedro

macrumors 601
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Queue all the people saying that they're overpriced. They're overpriced for you. There's clearly a market for these things, hence why B&O have been around for a century.

There's a niche (though I suspect larger than most niches) who will pay for excellent sound and beautiful design.

I own a Harman Kardon Aura. Up until then, I had been using a pair of Sony speakers and a sub woofer. I thought I had great sound at home until I decided to splurge on something new. The single HK Aura speaker sits in a corner of my living room and the difference is immediately noticeable. It blows me away each time how that one speaker fills my entire condo with sound as if there were speakers everywhere.

It's like the air in the room acts like one big speaker enveloping you. Actually, I think that's exactly how it works. :D

Reactions: ErikGrim

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
First impression was that they were salt and pepper shakers..... Im sure they are awesome speakers
[doublepost=1472679979][/doublepost]
These will sell...like the Zune.
I found my Zune yesterday.....

vipergts2207

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Bose is very overpriced, especially when you factor in their quality. These speakers are also expensive, perhaps a little overpriced for what you get, but I would not put them on the same level as Bose as far as overpricing goes. From what I understand about B&O, is that they make some very nice stuff and these probably sound pretty good considering the design limitations they placed on themselves.

I agree though, I couldn't justify purchasing either of these. Just finished putting together a 5.1 surround sound setup for my living room for about $3k, and as far as music listening goes uses a 10" subwoofer and two floorstanding speakers, each with two 6.5" woofers and a 1" tweeter. The spec on the larger B&O model says it uses one 5.25" woofer, two 2" woofers and a 0.75" tweeter, which would definitely underperform my setup and have less versatility as well. The B&O certainly won't dig very deep. Even though I spent more, I definitely got way more bang for my buck to go with it. What I do find interesting though is that B&O uses a separate amp for each driver (and two amps for the 5.25 driver).

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
i did not realize that B&O had multi-room multi-zone support. I have been investigating Sonos, but from what I understand, B&O has better sound quality. these particular speakers are not my cup of tea, but there are other that I would not mind owning. I will need to investigate and see if there are any good reviews comparing the two systems.

andy89

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Kent, England
They might be overpriced (I'd argue probably not, considering the amount of money B&O invest in research and the low number of products they sell, not to mention the service) but unlike BOSE they actually deliver on the audio side.