Bank 0, Bank 1 works, but not together??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ncshawng, Oct 19, 2007.

1. ncshawng macrumors member

I ordered a pair of DDR2 2GB PC5400 Dual speed 667 MHz OCZ from Outpost (Fry's) that arrived today.

From System Profiler, here is the MBP I have:

Model Name: MacBook Pro 15"
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz

I can put a 2GB module into either Bank 0 or Bank 1 and all works OK (it shows the system as having 2 GB of RAM available).

However, when I install RAM modules into both banks, it does not appear to boot (power comes on, but the screen never lights up), and thus I never get OS X booted. No matter which modules I use (both 2GB and the 1 GB that was previously installed), it never seems to boot with both banks full.

Any clues about what is happening here??

Thanks,

Shawn

2. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

Possable Logic board fault ?

3. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

I thought MBPs use 5300 RAM and not 5400. This could, perhaps, be your problem.

4. ncshawng thread starter macrumors member

I don't think that PC5300 (667 MHz FSB) and PC5400 (675 MHz will make a difference. I've been told that both types work fine in a MBP.

5. Hockeypuck macrumors regular

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Hockeypuck is right, it's a Core Duo. It will never work with 2 x 2 Gb. Shoulda either done the research first, or bought from a Mac-aware seller.

There is NO difference between PC2-5300 and PC2-5400, those are marketing terms and have nothing to do with the standard of the RAM (DDR2-667 MHz)

7. ncshawng thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info -- I did research this forum, but never saw this clearly addressed for my MBP.

All is nor lost -- I have an iMac coming next week, and should be able to use the other module in it.

Thanks again!

8. David Bell macrumors newbie

Similar Problem

Hi

I have same MacBook Pro and similar problem.

My MacBook Pro 15" Core Duo 2.16 GHz has 1GB of DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz in Bank 1 and everything is fine.

Took the machine to an Apple retailer last week to have another 1GB inserted into Bank 0 (I know that 2GB is the limit) and the machine won't boot up. Retailer moved the original 1GB from Bank 1 to Bank 0 (leaving Bank 1 empty) and that caused the same problem. Retailer concludes that Bank 0 is faulty and needs repair.

My machine is just out of warranty, so I am trying to find enough supporting evidence to ask for a free repair (given that there was no way I could test Bank 0 during the warranty period). Any ideas ?

9. cyclotron451 macrumors regular

cyclotron451

interesting test, I have the same Macbook and was wondering about the 2 x 2GB. It does seem however that having two x 1GB so-dimms might give a few percent speed-up, compared to running with a single ram stick. Your imac would probably love the matched pair of 2GB's then you could put the iMac stock mem back in your MBP1,1