Bank 0, Bank 1 works, but not together??

ncshawng

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Harrisburg, NC
I ordered a pair of DDR2 2GB PC5400 Dual speed 667 MHz OCZ from Outpost (Fry's) that arrived today.

From System Profiler, here is the MBP I have:

Model Name: MacBook Pro 15"
Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz

I can put a 2GB module into either Bank 0 or Bank 1 and all works OK (it shows the system as having 2 GB of RAM available).

However, when I install RAM modules into both banks, it does not appear to boot (power comes on, but the screen never lights up), and thus I never get OS X booted. No matter which modules I use (both 2GB and the 1 GB that was previously installed), it never seems to boot with both banks full.

Any clues about what is happening here??

Thanks,

Shawn

cogsinister

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2006
Fredericton NB Canada
I ordered a pair of DDR2 2GB PC5400 Dual speed 667 MHz OCZ from Outpost (Fry's) that arrived today.

From System Profiler, here is the MBP I have:

Model Name: MacBook Pro 15"
Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz

I can put a 2GB module into either Bank 0 or Bank 1 and all works OK (it shows the system as having 2 GB of RAM available).

However, when I install RAM modules into both banks, it does not appear to boot (power comes on, but the screen never lights up), and thus I never get OS X booted. No matter which modules I use (both 2GB and the 1 GB that was previously installed), it never seems to boot with both banks full.

Any clues about what is happening here??

Thanks,

Shawn
Possable Logic board fault ?

ncshawng

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Harrisburg, NC
I don't think that PC5300 (667 MHz FSB) and PC5400 (675 MHz will make a difference. I've been told that both types work fine in a MBP.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Hockeypuck is right, it's a Core Duo. It will never work with 2 x 2 Gb. Shoulda either done the research first, or bought from a Mac-aware seller.

There is NO difference between PC2-5300 and PC2-5400, those are marketing terms and have nothing to do with the standard of the RAM (DDR2-667 MHz)

ncshawng

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Harrisburg, NC
Thanks for the info -- I did research this forum, but never saw this clearly addressed for my MBP.

All is nor lost -- I have an iMac coming next week, and should be able to use the other module in it.

Thanks again!

David Bell

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
Similar Problem

Hi

I have same MacBook Pro and similar problem.

My MacBook Pro 15" Core Duo 2.16 GHz has 1GB of DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz in Bank 1 and everything is fine.

Took the machine to an Apple retailer last week to have another 1GB inserted into Bank 0 (I know that 2GB is the limit) and the machine won't boot up. Retailer moved the original 1GB from Bank 1 to Bank 0 (leaving Bank 1 empty) and that caused the same problem. Retailer concludes that Bank 0 is faulty and needs repair.

My machine is just out of warranty, so I am trying to find enough supporting evidence to ask for a free repair (given that there was no way I could test Bank 0 during the warranty period). Any ideas ?

cyclotron451

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2005
Europe
Thanks for the info -- I did research this forum, but never saw this clearly addressed for my MBP.

All is nor lost -- I have an iMac coming next week, and should be able to use the other module in it.

Thanks again!
interesting test, I have the same Macbook and was wondering about the 2 x 2GB. It does seem however that having two x 1GB so-dimms might give a few percent speed-up, compared to running with a single ram stick. Your imac would probably love the matched pair of 2GB's then you could put the iMac stock mem back in your MBP1,1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.