Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLikeToDrum

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
I'm curious about Wells Fargo's background check. I have a possible teller position lined up with them and am concerned wether or not I'll pass the background check.

When I was 14 I got into some trouble and had some charges(theft related) that were later reduced to misdemeanors and, as far as I know, expunged when I turned 18 a few years back.

So will it even show up that I got in trouble or what?

Thanks for the help guys!

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
It might show up, but I don't think I would worry about that, especially if it was so long ago and minor charges. I think they are looking for much more serious charges with such checks.

iLikeToDrum

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Appreciate the prompt insightful replies. Since it was reduced to a misdemeanor, I should be alright then? A tad nervous, to say the least.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
If it comes up, you explain that you were a kid at the time, a minor, and that you have grown up and straightened out and worked and studied hard in the meantime; the fact that it was reduced to a misdemeanor should stand to you.

Meanwhile, best of luck with it.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Why not just petition to have your juvenile records sealed? If it's nothing serious I doubt it's difficult to have that done. Rules on this vary by state, but seriously though, if it makes you nervous, I would suggest this. You'll have other job interviews, and you don't want to be nervous for them either.

eljanitor

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2011
I have no idea what to tell you, besides even if it does show up, I don't know if they will care. I suppose that depends on what the theft charge involved. When I had an FBI background check done on me for a job I was told the following.

"If theres anything you did ever like got arrested, or any other trouble you may have gotten into you need to tell us now, before we approve the investigation. It doesn't mean you might not get approved for certain things if you disclose them to us. However if you're hiding something they will find it."

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
When I was 14 I got into some trouble and had some charges(theft related) that were later reduced to misdemeanors and, as far as I know, expunged when I turned 18 a few years back.

So will it even show up that I got in trouble or what?

First, off, you need to find out whether your record was expunged or not. "As far as I know . . ." doesn't cut it. Call the court and find out.

What state are you in? That will drive part of it.

Generally, juvenile records are sealed, with a few exceptions for governmental positions. For example, if you apply to the military, it will show up. That is different from being expunged, which means it is effectively erased.

The other problem is that the charge you mention in passing, theft, is a crime of dishonesty, which will certainly be of interest to a bank.

Jacooch

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2011
For Wells (as a former recruiter) any applicant that has a trust hit (things that deal with bad checks, theft, etc are disqualifying. There are no known exceptions that I ever saw. That being said, if it was expunged it may not show up.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Because of your age it is possible it won't be there but the poster above who was once a recruiter for Wells is correct.

I do know if you did something at 18 theft related you may not find yourself in a job handling money if they run a background check.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.