Bank of Ireland Working to Implement Apple Pay

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 30, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The Bank of Ireland, the last major bank in the country that does not offer support for Apple Pay, is working on implementing Apple Pay for its customers, according to information shared with Irish news site Independent.ie.

"We expect to integrate phone payments in the future," said a spokesperson. "However we are not in a position to confirm timings." When asked by Independent.ie to clarify what "phone payments" meant, the bank representative said "Apple and Android Pay."

[​IMG]

Apple Pay has been available in Ireland since March of 2017, and the payments service works with Mastercard, Visa, AIB, Boon, KBC, and Ulster Bank, leaving Bank of Ireland as the one significant holdout.

Apple Pay is available on all of Apple's modern devices, including the iPhone 6 and later, Apple Watch models, and the newest Macs with Touch ID support.

Apple Pay in Ireland can be used wherever contactless payments are accepted, with Apple listing specific Apple Pay partners that include Aldi, Boots, Burger King, Dunnes, iConnect, Harvey Normal, Lidl, and more on its Apple Pay Ireland website.

Article Link: Bank of Ireland Working to Implement Apple Pay

2. DrNevs macrumors newbie

DrNevs

Too late Bank of Ireland. I waited long enough and have switched banks already.

I'm not the only one either.

3. FirstNeverFollows macrumors newbie

FirstNeverFollows

With the PSD2 laws coming in...

How will this affect Apple Pay?

4. whooleytoo macrumors 604

whooleytoo

Don't have much experience with BOI (I'm a lifelong AIB customer) but there aren't a huge number of alternatives out there. I'd be very wary of Ulster Bank, given multiple major problems/outages they've had.

5. Robert.Walter macrumors 65816

Apparently the BOI has been shedding customers to its competition.

Always better to the a fast-follower, than a last follower.

6. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

Yeah, about 3 years too late. Still recall back then the experience of using Apple Pay linked to my UK account in certain shops and being stared at as if I was some magical wizard...or shoplifter.

Next up, maybe now the dodgy tax genie is out of the bottle, and the presence of Apple Europe HQ in Cork irrelevant, maybe Apple will finally open some retail stores south of the border (as opposed to a certain unofficial front “authorised reseller”). I’m not holding my breath though...

7. whooleytoo macrumors 604

whooleytoo

I used Apple Pay a few times, thought what strange sorcery that was, and haven't used it since. It's a great option to have , especially if I misplace my wallet/debit card. If it could be used to withdraw cash from an ATM it'd be very handy.

On the stores, I'm not sure official Apple Stores would be much different from the Compu-B shops we already have. I doubt Apple's presence would have any effect. I remember hearing before all Macs sold in Cork are (or at least, were) shipped from the European distribution centre in France, which received them from Cork in the first place. :) We're just a small market with not much appeal. Being English speaking and in the euro-zone probably means we're punching above our weight in what we get.

8. epaminos macrumors member

We’ve been told that Bank of Ireland will bring Apple Pay in after they deliver their new computer system. Thus we have to wait a few months more!

9. winmaciek macrumors member

winmaciek

I dunno, I switched to KBC few months ago because of Apple Pay.
    BOI should improve their app and website first I think. Both are pieces of garbage, the app especially. I’ve seen better apps for Symbian, honestly. They don’t even have TouchID authentication.

10. Irishappletech macrumors regular

A few months. Lol do u think likely before September

11. Irishappletech macrumors regular

12. Irishappletech macrumors regular

When will this be please

13. b-dogg macrumors regular

Just move banks. BOI have to be the least tech friendly bank. I went to AIB and everything from the apple pay, mobile app and website are about 5-7 years ahead of BOI. Haven't looked back.

14. winmaciek macrumors member

winmaciek

I haven’t used AIB (judging by the screenshots it’s OK). Out of three banks I’ve used, N26 had the best app and I highly recommend giving it a try. It’s totally free, they give a cool looking, translucent debit card and they update the app on a regular basis. I also love the fact that they don’t charge for transactions in foreign currencies - great for purchasing goods on Amazon UK or when going abroad to a country outside eurozone.
    KBC is better than BOI, but their app is OK, at best. Not particularly fast and I’ve found the new UI pretty confusing (and I consider myself a bit more tech savvy than an average person).

15. Irishappletech macrumors regular

16. itsmemuffins macrumors 68040

itsmemuffins

Here we are. End of January 2019. Still no Apple Pay…

17. winmaciek macrumors member

winmaciek

1. It’s a bit funny, but you can now view BoI or AIB account balance in KBC app.
    2. I’ve just spoken to a BoI employee (just to make sure my account has been closed) and she mentioned something about new app coming in April.

18. Irishappletech macrumors regular

yeah its a pity. yes I seen that Winmaciek. Yes I heard about the new app too. that is good that its coming in April. Shame about Apple Pay though id imagine it won't be too much longer now that the app is due to arrive in April. Hopefully before June. I heard q2/q3 of this year. Did she mention what the app would do

Thanks

19. winmaciek macrumors member

winmaciek

No. Although it’s unlikely that it’ll be worse than the current one, it’s a disaster, not even universal across iPhone and iPad. If I were you, I’d hook up the debit card to Revolut and thus limit to minimum necessary interaction with BoI atrocity.

20. Irishappletech macrumors regular

hopefully it will bring Face ID login. I have a loan with Boi so I have to wait until thats paid back. nah if I was moving bank id go to AIB

21. winmaciek macrumors member

winmaciek

I haven’t used AIB, but it’s likely better than BoI. But let’s be honest, it’s not difficult to do better than BoI, average bank in Venezuela probably has better customer experience, it’s so bad.

22. Irishappletech macrumors regular

haha yeah true. yeah a few of the friends are on AIB and they say its good. did you hear anything about a release date for Apple Pay for BOI Thanks

23. itsmemuffins macrumors 68040

itsmemuffins

I know this is for BOI but I also have a master card from avant-card and they don’t seem to be going support Apple Pay at all :mad:

24. b-dogg macrumors regular

I switched from BOI to AIB and the difference is night and day. BOI is so far behind the game it's embarrassing. That iOS app for mobile banking hasn't seen an update in god knows how many years... AIB mobile app supports TouchID and FaceID and ApplePay is supported. The app sees regular updates and features get added.

I was with BOI for 25+ years and got sick of waiting for apple pay etc. Glad I bailed 18mths ago. Aside from the tech end of things being stuck in the past, the branches themselves and the actual customer service in the branches was awful too. I'd leave that loan with AIB and move your day-to-day current account to basically any any of the other banks! Having the option of Apple Pay day-to-day is so handy.