Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bella123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2019
Hi there hope someone can help, I've got an iPad 4 and when I tried downloading a banking app it said it wasn't compatible and allowed me to download a previous version. So I did that and spent ages registering and going through all the security checks and at last I have the banking app my son did it years ago but only took me how many years lol and bravery to bank online! That was 2 weeks ago.. now in the app updates it's telling me there's an update but if I click on it it says yet again this version not compatible click to download compatible version. Now if I do that will I have to register with banking again? As this dose t seem to be an update as it's saying download compatible version or would it just download the same version again and have to register banking app again? Thanks as you can tell a bit worried

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Hi there hope someone can help, I've got an iPad 4 and when I tried downloading a banking app it said it wasn't compatible and allowed me to download a previous version.
The 4th generation iPad is only supported by operating system versions up to iOS 10, while the current version is 12. Many apps eventually stop supporting older iOS versions.
So I did that and spent ages registering and going through all the security checks and at last I have the banking app my son did it years ago but only took me how many years lol and bravery to bank online! That was 2 weeks ago.. now in the app updates it's telling me there's an update but if I click on it it says yet again this version not compatible click to download compatible version.
Most likely it will offer you the same version that you already have.
Now if I do that will I have to register with banking again?
While there is no guarantee (every app can handle this in their own way), usually an app update does not require re-entering the security credentials again.

Bella123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2019
The 4th generation iPad is only supported by operating system versions up to iOS 10, while the current version is 12. Many apps eventually stop supporting older iOS versions.
Most likely it will offer you the same version that you already have.
While there is no guarantee (every app can handle this in their own way), usually an app update does not require re-entering the security credentials again.
Thank you for your reply. I know on the banking website it says if you delete the app you will have to reregister again, that's why I was thinking if the app update if offering to download the compatible version it means it will delete the other one and replace it with a new one even if it's the same one? Do you think this is what will happen?

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
Sadly banking apps are one of the first to drop support for older iOS versions in my experience. It was one of the reasons for my upgrade this year, as I had the iPad 3 so stuck one version behind yours.

The app doesn’t know what iPad you have, but knows what version of the app you are using so will encourage you to update if you are not on the latest version. The App Store will tell you it’s not compatible if the app requires iOS 11 or later. All you can do is to ignore the prompts and continue to use the version you have for as long as the bank keep that version of the app functioning.

I am in the UK and one of my accounts is with Halifax. Eventually, they restricted the iPad version of the app to iOS 10, which I obviously couldn’t get. I was able to prolong my iPad’s banking life by downloading the iPhone version instead, which curiously required iOS 9. It was only when they informed customers that they were planning to move to a minimum of iOS 10 in 2019, the Mini 5 was announced and the iPad 3 was getting unbearable speed and reloads wise, that I decided it was time to upgrade.

Clicking update and following the process to attempt it shouldn’t require the app to be set up again. That should only happen if you were to delete the app and then download it again, or change device. No guarantees though. I have 4 banking apps and one of them made me enter credentials and pass security again about three times for no reason a month or so ago.

Last edited:

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Thank you for your reply. I know on the banking website it says if you delete the app you will have to reregister again, that's why I was thinking if the app update if offering to download the compatible version it means it will delete the other one and replace it with a new one even if it's the same one? Do you think this is what will happen?
Again, this differs from app to app, but usually in such cases the app stores some kind of security token that the bank uses to recognize the registered device. That token will usually not be deleted just because you update the app. I think it's unlikely that you'll have to repeat the registration if there is indeed a new version compatible with your iPad.

I think the bigger risk is that at some point the bank will no longer allow you to use the old app version (which may have bugs or security flaws that have been fixed in newer versions).

Bella123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2019
Sadly banking apps are one of the first to drop support for older iOS versions in my experience. It was one of the reasons for my upgrade this year, as I had the iPad 3 so stuck one version behind yours.

The app doesn’t know what iPad you have, but knows what version of the app you are using so will encourage you to update if you are not on the latest version. The App Store will tell you it’s not compatible if the app requires iOS 11 or later. All you can do is to ignore the prompts and continue to use the version you have for as long as the bank keep that version of the app functioning.

I am in the UK and one of my accounts is with Halifax. Eventually, they restricted the iPad version of the app to iOS 10, which I obviously couldn’t get. I was able to prolong my iPad’s banking life by downloading the iPhone version instead, which curiously required iOS 9. It was only when they informed customers that they were planning to move to a minimum of iOS 10 in 2019, the Mini 5 was announced and the iPad 3 was getting unbearable speed and reloads wise, that I decided it was time to upgrade.

Clicking update and following the process to attempt it shouldn’t require the app to be set up again. That should only happen if you were to delete the app and then download it again, or change device. No guarantees though. I have 4 banking apps and one of them made me enter credentials and pass security again about three times for no reason a month or so ago.
[doublepost=1565472574][/doublepost]Oh thank you so much for your reply that all makes sense to me now, it's just like you know all the security to get into it are a nightmare. Just one question though if I don't update it so not to risk it will it be safe? Thanks Kim

Bella123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2019
Ok thank you , so you think download the compatible version rather than risk using the app and not updating? Or carry on using app?

Also I know the bank website says if you delete the app you have to register again

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
[doublepost=1565472574][/doublepost]Oh thank you so much for your reply that all makes sense to me now, it's just like you know all the security to get into it are a nightmare. Just one question though if I don't update it so not to risk it will it be safe? Thanks Kim

It’s as safe as it can be using banking apps on a device with an older version of iOS, as some believe Apple’s security updates to be important. Personally though, the iPad 3 lost support in September 2016 and I was using banking apps on it until upgrading in April this year. I never had any problems with fraudulent transactions or money going missing or anything like that.

I believe that the update will fail anyway, as the new version wants more than iOS 10, so I see no reason to risk it to attempt an update. If the bank found a security issue I believe they’d just correct it it in the latest version and cut off the others, rather than go backwards and release a patch to an older version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.