Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Of all the ways the military could dispose of something, you think they'd pick "throwing it out?"

I feel like they might be more inclined to strap them to a claymore. Or at least target practice :D
Why waste a bullet?! :D

Of course for some buddies, throwing it out is at altitude. :p

After watching the stress test link in this thread, I wonder how well a BB would do against the M-1 Abrams? :p

oh and btw...hsbc uses ibm's lotus notes and not outlook/exchange.....
Interesting.

I can type much faster on my iPhone than on my Blackberry. Didn't think I would, but only after a week or so, I'm cooking. I think it's because you only have to touch the keys and not push them, if you see what I mean.
Surprising how we can adapt to the new keyboard.

On my Touch, I type one handed. Works well.

markm49uk

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Kingston Upon Hull, UK
Has any IT guy out there received more than three for his company? I can't imagine it's possible they're constraining supplies to all companies.

Well I'm in the UK and it's fair to say that O2 are not making it easy for organisations to get their hands on the iPhone 3G - if you speak to the business team at O2 they say they have no stock yet Carphone Warehouse (who have the right to sell online and in stores in the UK) have plenty.

I had to buy our iPhones on a credit card, but because it was for a business address and no credit checks could be undertaken I had to pay £300 per phone security deposit which is refunded after 6 months.

Not sure about the reasoning for this control of the supply chain but....

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
On a side note, it would be nice if HSBC came out with an App much like the Bank of America one. I don't know a whole lot about the App but the fact that it exists is nice, I have a few different accounts at HSBC and an iPhone dedicated App would be nice to manage them, as I check them online just about every day. Perhaps if HSBC gets serious about this transition we will see a consumer App soon.

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
And so the master plan begins to come together.

Step 1) Make the coolest phone that everybody wants

Step 2) Get it to work in a business climate

Step 3) "Wow, these phones work pretty good! I wonder what their computers are like?"

Step 4) Become Microsoft, except sell both the software *and* the hardware

Step 5) Profit

More steps than is traditional (and no underpants), but you get the idea...

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
I really don't get the point of your last point. Asserting that a bunch of missing features will be easy to implement does not mitigate the fact they are missing. The fact that so many "simple" features are missing adds up to a big problem. And I've seen many enterprises have phones with multiple accounts set up on someones phone.

To lodge a defense of the iPhone's mail capability predicated on an assertion that the shortcomings will be eventually fixed is ridiculous. It's like me saying: look at this block of granite. Isn't it an amazing statue I have not yet carved? It beats all other statues, despite it's lack of existance.

Your point is spot on, but your example is silly. Saying there is a great statue inside a block of granite is good imagination and confidence in your ability. In fact, plenty of people have said this exact thing!

Many of the missing features will be sorted soon hopefully (a few of the features you listed are inexcusably missing at the moment), but, HSBC uses Lotus Notes, which has an iPhone version coming out in a few months, and their tech staff could simply re-write all their apps for iPhones and push them out exclusively to all the HSBC iPhones (pretty cool feature for devs).

I think many of the problems that people are bringing up are solved by the above point. The newly programs could be made even better by taking into account user feedback on the old ones! There would have to be a switch over period, but this move wouldn't be crazy. It would be very beneficial to in the long run (better tech breeds innovation - and vice versa of course).

biggangstar

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2008
HSBC could order 200,000 iPhones 3g - this is crazy

"HSBC could order 200,000 iPhones" grrrr i think this is the reason why is so hard to get

The news is :
Global banking giant HSBC is considering ditching the BlackBerry and adopting Apple's iPhone as its standard staff mobile device, a move that could result in an order for some 200,000 iPhones.
"We are actually reviewing iPhones from a HSBC Group perspective ... and when I say that, I mean globally,"
HSBC has some 300,000 staff internationally. A decision to standardise on the iPhone on its corporate networks would likely lead to one of the world's largest iPhone orders.

"A decision on a piece of hardware like that would potentially be deployed, conservatively, to 200,000 people," said Hush. "You know, it's a big decision, especially when you have an existing fleet out there."

"But it's definitely something we are considering from a HSBC Group perspective," he said. "We always explore the potential application of new technologies and this is no different."

Should HSBC select the iPhone as its official corporate mobile device, the decision would be a major blow to Research in Motion, maker of the BlackBerry, which is HSBC's current standard staff mobile.

Most corporations passed on the iPhone when it was first released, due to limited availability and the device's lack of support for Microsoft's Exchange email platform. However, Apple has rectified both issues, and has additionally built a number of tools into the new iPhone 3G specifically targeted at corporate use.

Hush was recently elevated from an internal position to the rank of chief information officer of the local arm of HSBC.

HSBC's Australian presence is small compared to major Australian banks, but its global operations have a US$6 billion annual technology budget and a technology team of 30,000 supporting 300,000 employees.

Hush said he did not own an iPhone, however added, "I have obviously had hands on experience with them."

Heads of technology of other large organisations were cautious about the idea of standardising the iPhone for corporate network access at the time of its launch.

While one of Australia's big four banks, CommBank, today flagged its iPhone trading application as part of its $523 million growth strategy for the year, chief information officer Michael Harte recently expressed caution about the phone's introduction into its own networks.

Steven Bandrowczak, global CIO of Nortel, which has 30,000 staff, said he doubted whether his staff would choose the iPhone over its current device, the BlackBerry due to the latter device's superior email functionality.

However, Hush's opinion differed on this matter. ZDNet.com.au asked Hush whether he thought the BlackBerry had any advantage over the iPhone.

"No, I don't. I think [the iPhone] would change some underlying infrastructure considerations from an enterprise perspective. But [Apple] have been pretty smart with the design."

No time frame has been given for a decision on the iPhone move, with Hush adding that for his position located in Australia, the iPhone was a low-ranking priority at this stage.

The CIO, whose office is located at HSBC's Sydney headquarters on George Street, Sydney is just 500 metres away from Apple's new Sydney store, but he said he had not entered due to persistent queues.

"I'm blown away every time I walk past that Apple store, and there's always people queued up outside to get in," he said. "I haven't been in there. It's always too busy."

chameleon81

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
And so the master plan begins to come together.

Step 1) Make the coolest phone that everybody wants

Step 2) Get it to work in a business climate

Step 3) "Wow, these phones work pretty good! I wonder what their computers are like?"

Step 4) Become Microsoft, except sell both the software *and* the hardware

Step 5) Profit

More steps than is traditional (and no underpants), but you get the idea...

I dont want. I also know many people who dont want.

joshigh

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
I work for HSBC and I'm pretty sure we don't have 200k mobile device users. I think that estimate is a little steep.

biggangstar

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2008
lol you don;t have YET hehe as far as i see HSBC might offer them as bonus to the ppl who work there.. omg let me join lol:p

CharQuake

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2008
I think if you could type e-mails horiZontally it would make the iPhone evenmore attractive to business people you can type so fast when it's sideways

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
I wonder how many posting about how they should switch actually work in IT Departments?

I hope HSBC bought lots of extra storage on the servers, and are ready to support a gillion itunes installs. Cause now they'll be supporting not just phones, but everyone's music collections, and they'll be storing them because that music WILL inevitability end up on the servers. Also, itunes doesn't allow updates without being an admin on the machine, so it takes yet more admin intervention to maintain.

Oh, and be ready when the RIAA or whatever Australian/European version of it comes knocking for all the pirated music on the corporate servers.

Where are you getting your info from bud? The iPhone is the most RESTRICTIVE device ever made in terms of copying music. Most users will probably take their phone home and set it up in itunes, and then they won't be able to copy music to their phones from work.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Cheapest, certainly. But a custom messaging solution would be more secure, faster and more flexible than push email. If it's THAT important, I don't think they should be cutting corners, but different strokes...

I think it's unlikely that they'll go for the iPhone any time soon. Not because the iPhone isn't good enough, but because it's not proven enough. They're not going to spend 200,000 x unit cost of iPhone + (200,000 x monthly tariff per month) on a "maybe".

Maybe the fact that the iPhone can remotely be erased is a factor that makes them interested in this.

And Push Email because you don't actually have to have the device to access it - assuming they restrict access - you'll be able to access at a computer at work, and rely on the iPhone when you are away from your desk.

danielhayter

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2007
Paris
Another point of view from a (past) HSBC employee. HSBC are progressive in a lot of ways, but they are also ultra conservative in a lot of other ways. They are a lender of last resort and tend to be very averse to taking risk. Like so many other 'giant' companies, HSBC has invested heavily in BB and can't just change at the snap of a finger. I would also say that the 200,000 user figure is a bit dubious - no way that that many HSBC employees currently have a company mobile. Of course, if it turns out to be true that the largest company in the world switch to iPhone, well that would be amazing! :D

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
As an ex HSBC`er i can attest to HSBC`s dependance on Lotus Notes.

They spent about 2 and a half years try to migrate off onto Exchange and guess what, they found they couldn`t do it. Not globally at any rate.

This smacks more of a negotiating tactic with RIM. Advertise your considering iPhones and that contract renewal suddenly gets much more attractive.

I`d also point out that 200K mobile users is bullcrap. Majority of employees are in the retail side of which very few have BB`s. I would guesstimate at 40K tops.

M.

AndyHogan

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2008
Berkeley, CA
Though it may not happen, I still think this is great news because if some corporations begin to adopt the iPhone (even in small numbers) they will begin to see what a great product Apple makes. This will not only knock RIM's numbers down but cause corporations to take a second look at Macs thus lowering the Windows numbers as well. :D

able-x

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2008
I agree. I also don't find my blackberry user friendly. I think it may be the 8700 I have which is a big brick. I still haven't figured out how to scroll curser right/left with the thumb wheel when I need to edit text. A perl or curve may be easier to use...

You've got to be kidding me. The BB DOES come with a user guide y'know.
To scroll horizontally on an 8700, press the alt key, then scroll with the thumbwheel. It will now move horizontal instead of vertical.

GriffinFactor

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2008
Not in a hurry

As I understand it, the only e-mail push server for iPhone is currently Exchange? Unless they're planning to spend a lot of time, money and effort to install MS Exchange group wide, you'll find HSBC are a Lotus Notes shop!

Being a bank and having sensitive areas, you'll also find they ban mobile phones with cameras in some locations & I don't see anyone wanting to leave their iPhone at the security lodge. I guess this is one reason BB makes the 8800 with no camera. Theres also a lot of BB users wouldn't swap their "proper" keyboard for a flat screen.

Oh and who said HSBC was a progressive bank? I did laugh!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.