Bar Magnet, A Native Delegate for Torrent Web UIs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Qata, May 19, 2013.

1. Qata macrumors newbie

Qata

Hello everyone.

I have gathered you here today to show you my latest and greatest and first creation, Bar Magnet.

Well, I'm glad you asked. It is a menu bar residing, magnet handling, torrent file accepting piece of show stopping action. When running, it sets itself as your default torrent/magnet handler, and when exited, that reverts back.
    Bar Magnet came about when I thought to myself "It'd really be great if I could just click several magnet links without needing to copy and paste them into µTorrent's Web UI, or without a local app setting focus." And bam, four months later, here is a buggy actualisation of my dream.

But, the thing is, I currently only have three beta testers, and I really need quite a few more than that for the upcoming release of 0.5.
    Being a beta tester is super easy, every copy of Bar Magnet has a "Report Bug" button in the Preferences window that opens up Mail with everything but the text body filled out.

I'd be especially eager to hear from people with VPSes residing in other countries, I can't afford one at the moment and I'm not sure about how my app handles high ping times.

You can find information about which servers are supported at Bar Magnet's page on MacUpdate, which I always provide with an up to date list. Those which are currently supported are µTorrent, Transmission and Vuze with the help of either the HTML UI plugin or the Web Remote plugin. Support is forthcoming for rTorrent with the ruTorrent front-end, which will be followed by Deluge support.

I'm (kind of) looking forward to some bug reports!

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I'd like to be a tester!

Oh wait. I already am.

This app handy. Download.

3. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Woah, I didn't think that something this specific would actually exist. But it's pretty rad! I approve!

4. DarkC macrumors newbie

DarkC

I don't get it... When I click a magnet link, it ALREADY automatically adds itself to uTorrent without giving it focus... :confused:

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

That's exactly what this app is designed to do. It silently adds torrents to a queue to your default app so you don't have to click the same prompts to confirm the location and files for every item. It's not for everyone and it's handy for those that use a server to grab their bytes.

6. Qata thread starter macrumors newbie

Qata

Hai

Hey kids, there's a new build up with SSL support. Some people like that, I hear.

7. Qata thread starter macrumors newbie

Qata

Buildz

Two new builds have come out since the SSL one, Bar Magnet now supports rTorrent via the ruTorrent front-end, Deluge via its own web-UI and I have also added backwards compatibility with OS X 10.7.