Barclay/Apple Visa card

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SteelWheel, Nov 25, 2011.

1. SteelWheel macrumors member

So when I bought my MBA right after the product refresh, I finally decided to take that "free zero-percent financing for 12 months if you apply and are approved for a Barclay/Apple Visa card". I didn't really need the financing, but I figured I might as well take advantage of it--better for me to have those funds available to me for 12 months than Apple.

A couple of days ago, I got a mailer from Barclay inviting me to purchase something else from Apple between now and mid-January and get another twelve-month financing deal. Surprisingly, there's nothing on my wish list from Apple right now. I will want an iPad 3 when available, but that's not going to be available until March at the earliest; and we have no idea when (or even if) there's going to be a refresh of the Mac Pro--which is really the only other thing I see myself wanting in the near future.

I figure there are a few sharpies around here who take advantage of the Barclay Visa thing--are these sorts of promotions offered fairly often, or just around Xmas shopping season? I was hoping to maybe get one of these deals when I might actually need it, which would probably work out to March or April for the new iPad, and who knows, depending on Ivy Bridge development, maybe May for the Mac Pro (just a guess).

Only other angle I can think of (and I doubt this would work) is to buy an Apple gift card (for something obscene, like around $1,000) with the Barclay Visa--and then pay *that* off over the course of twelve months, so that I can apply the gift card balance to the purchase.

2. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

Just about to buy a MacBook and wish that option was available to us here in the UK!! We have no interest free options :(

3. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

4. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

Er no. They are just trying to get you to charge more to your card. Once you are in the hole it is hard to get out. If you are unable to pay the balance in X months then you will have to pay 30% interest.

I am not aware of your financial status, but I always pay cash for my electronics because I don't want to be in debt with any finance agency. If you can afford it then, go ahead.

5. MrJay23 macrumors member

question

I'm in the same boat with the email for another purchase til january to get finance free. Can i just buy a 50 dollar apple gift card to get the 6 finance free months?

6. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I used it to get the original iPad. After I paid off the balance I closed the card.