Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qwerty994

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
California
I'm a high school student who will soon be going into college for stuff related to film editing/iOS development. I took a tour of the college a couple weeks ago and many of the students there told me a 15-inch MacBook Pro is the best computer to get the job done. Thing is, I can't afford one at the moment. I can, however, put aside $300 a month to finance a computer.

My dad said he would be willing to put the card in his name as long as I can give him between $300-$400 a month along with ~$700 up front. So I know I'm able to make the monthly payments, but is it worth it to finance?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That's a lot of money per month for a college student - are you sure you can swing it? At least you can pay for some money upfront.

An MBA is a lot cheaper and may be more feasible financially - just my $.02.

qwerty994

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
California
That's a lot of money per month for a college student - are you sure you can swing it? At least you can pay for some money upfront.

An MBA is a lot cheaper and may be more feasible financially - just my $.02.

I'm sure. Over the next year I'll be finishing high school and taking the basic classes, and plan on having it paid off in 14 months. The money upfront is just in case I can't make a payment one month and he can put some in. I tried a MBA, and it's just too small for my taste.

Thanks for the advice :)

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2012
United States
Does it have to be a laptop? I mean, I'm a film student currently and our school utilizes the base 21.5 inch model iMac on campus and the majority of the time, it handles anything thrown at it pretty well. Of course, it depends on the software you plan on using as well and how much editing you plan on doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.