Barclays backing out of finance

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Polaroid, May 3, 2015.

1. Polaroid macrumors 6502a

Barclays has backed out the finance option for Apple watch:

Thus my order has been cancelled.

2. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Wow that sucks! :mad:

3. Polaroid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah :/ I try doing via Paypal option but it automatically says:

4. frankeliason macrumors member

PayPal credit and Barclays financing are two different things. If you have PayPal credit, PayPal just made that the default selection but PayPal credit is not accepted everywhere.

5. Polaroid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah I see, I thought it was same process as Barclays, only they automatically do the checks straight away.

Dang! Thanks anyway!

6. DononyG2 macrumors member

DononyG2

Just apply for the Barclays credit card..?

7. shenfrey macrumors 68000

What about those with a current contract?

8. Polaroid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Spoke to apple and it seems existing ones will be ok - just ones over next few days wi change? Not sure :s

The other apple person I spoke to says order has gone through ok with the Barclays finance and it's in processing now.... Maybe it's orders over next few days with Barcleys will change?

9. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

10. H3rman macrumors 6502

This! To be honest I refuse to buy anything on finance. If I can't afford it I save up until I can. Getting into debts for something like a watch or phone is ridiculous IMHO.

11. martinctv macrumors regular

My Barclay finance card honored it. They even sent me an email saying no interests charges for my apple watch purchase for 6 months.

12. stroked Suspended

stroked

I agree. The only thing you should finance, is necessities.

13. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

OP are you talking about the Apple Rewards card from Barclaycard? And if so are you saying that Barclaycard is now refusing to accept charges for the Apple watch?

This is very strange because if you go to the Barclaycard website they still advertise having the Apple Rewards card there as well as on Apple's website you can still apply for it there. I don't see why Barclaycard would care what you're buying at the Apple store while using your Apple Rewards card.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused by this thread. I used my Apple Rewards card for the points and if there's a chance it's going to automatically decline and cancel my order then I need to change my method of payment pronto.

14. shenfrey macrumors 68000

I didn't. I financed my phone, interest free. Will be paid off in a few months :)

15. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Why finance?
    Having just purchased $1500 worth of hockey equipment.
    Another $800 on sticks, upcoming trip to Vegas, followed by a trip to Seattle,
    A couple weekend getaways in New Hampshire I didn't want to dig deeper into the slush fund.
    So I'll use their money until fall rolls around.

16. Polaroid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because I'd rather pay it off monthly than upfront? None of your business why someone would rather use finance.

The options there so why question or judge?

Besides I am an avid film collector and just spent a fortune on a boxset so wouldn't be able to pay for watch till next month and I can't wait :p

----------

Never heard of that tbh! I'm just referring to the standard finance option through apple site ^^

17. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

Ok gotcha. I didn't realize that the standard financing through Apple's website was through Barclaycard as well. Makes sense though.

We've had our Apple Rewards cards since November when we used it to buy two retina iMacs. Interest free for 18 months and we got enough points for $175 worth of Apple store gift cards. We used $125 of those gift cards to purchase two 2m watch chargers and my wife's 38mm blue sport band (band only) and the last $10 or so went on the Apple Rewards card. We still have $50 worth of gift cards. Nothing like free money....and for the people who shun using a credit card to buy things...yes we will have the balance paid off well before the 18 months comes around. We won't be paying a penny in interest.

18. Polaroid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah with finance you can pay off sooner so less interest - I plan to pay off next month or at least half next month :)

19. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

If you read down a little bit you will see the answer. "I want it now, but I cannot afford it" A first world problem.

20. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

in some cases but surely not all

21. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Why is does one need to match their obligations dollar for dollar to be considered someone who 'can afford' to use finance?

Why can't a person with the means and talent to pay it off in a reasonable amount of time be considered someone who can 'afford' to use finance?

There's probably some interest being made somewhere for the bank, why negatively paint a transaction as 'out of someone's means' when all parties (including the lender) is smart enough to still participate?

22. Polaroid thread starter macrumors 6502a

And? It's my life and I will finance things how I wish and when I want. I have a great credit score so why not use that to my advantage? It's none of your business.

23. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

Don't you get it? It's a way for someone who thinks they are better than you, for whatever made up reason in their head, to pick a subject and be judgmental towards you in order to make themselves feel better that they are somehow better than someone else. Narcism at it's finest. They clearly are better than you, somehow.

I always love it when threads turn into this sort of discussion.

24. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

If financing is taken advantage of, it dilutes the prestige of being part of a small selection of the population with the over priced apple watch. Remember the arguments about the iPhone being sold at Walmart. How dare apple make the phone available to the common folk.

25. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

I agree. Not to mention someone smart with their money can turn $700 into something more with a few months of hustling... Why just give that right over to Apple and miss the chance? You need money to make money, am I right? Even when I can pay off a small loan I'll decide to or not based on what else is going on and the cost in interest to do one verse the other. It is not true that a couple bucks in interest is always the worst financial outcome. Sometimes it might be, sometimes not. Why not finance and have both options open? That's just my 2 cents (+1 cent interest).