Barclays banking app now supports Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by RodThePlod, Aug 5, 2015.

1. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

So I updated my Barclays banking app today - and got a prompt to install the Watch app! When you install it, you first need to register it in the Barclays app on your phone and you can then view your balance on the watch which is pretty cool.

You have the option to perform a force touch before your balance is shown which is a nice touch. At the moment, I can't tell if it updates in 'real time' - if it does, this will be super-handy for me :)

The only downside that I can see is that I can't set it to show as a glance. Hopefully that'll come in an update. IMHO this is a great addition to Barclays' already strong iOS app.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

That's cool, doesn't make up for no Apple pay though.

3. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Nationwide has had this for a while. Quite neat. (Plus we have Apple Pay too!)

4. RodThePlod thread starter macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

I was just surprised to see it when I updated the app last night :)

Does the Nationwide app somehow update in real-time? Or does the Watch app only update after you've logged in to the iPhone app?

I'm guessing you have to log into the phone app first which then pushes the balances to the Watch? But it would be really cool if the Watch app could fetch your balances securely without you having to log into the iPhone app first.

And yeah - sucks that we don't have Apple Pay support yet. Hopefully it'll appear within the next few months.

5. RodThePlod thread starter macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

OK so for anyone who's interested, the Watch app does indeed update in real time.

I checked my account balance using the Watch app just before I made an online purchase, and then checked it again immediately after purchasing. The Watch app showed my updated balance! I didn't log in or open the phone app at all.

I know it's only a small thing, but with functionality like this, owning the Apple Watch just gets better and better!

6. Furzul macrumors 6502

Furzul

That sounds very useful, just Tweeted Lloyds and unfortunately they have no plans to introduce this on there app, shame.

7. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

8. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Now Apple Pay needs to be added...

But thanks. Installing on my watch now.

9. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Yeah, like the Barclays app the Nationwide one updates in real time. It's nice to quickly be able to see if you've been paid or transferred money, but it is quite lightweight. I suppose that's a good thing though as the watch doesn't exactly lend itself to being used for long periods at once.

Apple Pay is great - paying with a watch feels like the future!

10. srshaw macrumors 6502

My Tesco cereit card has a Watch App that shows the balance. It seems that its all the companies without Apple Pay that are developing watch apps.

I still have a Barclaycard but unless there is movement on the apple pay front I think I will change.