Barclay's financing?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DotCom2, Oct 17, 2014.

1. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Has anybody used the Barclay's financing on a iMac?
    What is the typical monthly payment on over a 2K purchase!
    How was your experience with them?

2. BConvery macrumors regular

We used it for a MBP a year ago. Like most of these operations they count on you going longer than the free financing period, in which case you owe interest from the original date of purchase.Or they count on you making a mistake and missing a payment so they can start charging you interest. As long as you're reasonably diligent on making the payments its free money for a year...no reason NOT to do it.

3. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

4. metanoiapi macrumors member

I would consider using PayPal Credit instead. Promo period is half as long as Barclay, but the APR is a bit better. Not much, but better.

5. iubhounds macrumors regular

iubhounds

I used them 4 years ago only because they had a 12 month no interest. I've had no problems with them but have barely used the card since.

6. bwsteg macrumors 6502

I actually used the financing promo for the iMac 5k. 18 months 0% APR...

7. cd3267 macrumors newbie

Got iPad Air 2 and MBA last night in finance. Over the year it's costing me £99 monthly for 12 months and I'm paying £80 interest so that like less than £8 a month.

8. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

Although it's well known that one pays a premium for anything Apple, going into debt no matter the term is a bad deal.

Time to look at your finances, not sink into debt, you'll be glad you did. It's only a bloody computer. Step back look at the big picture.

Refuse to buy into the hype gushing out of Appleland.

9. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68040

Do you know what your monthly payment is going to be?

----------

I won't be going into debt really.
    I am just putting off paying the entire purchase for 18 months.
    I have no problem meeting the monthly payments and plan on paying if off in full when the deadline comes.
    This is just not a problem for me.
    I just want to take advantage of the 0% financing which is exactly what it will end up being for me.

But I do know what you are saying and good advice for others in a different situation.
    THANKS

----------

thanks!

10. bwsteg macrumors 6502

I won't know until I get my first statement. Although I plan on just dividing the total amount by 18 months and making that my payment amount.

11. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I got one earlier this year for an iMac 27" for the kids. It works fine, and you can get approved make the purchase right away online. If you are disciplined to make all your payments on time, but not making the minimum payment but ensuring you will pay all the balance before the promotion expires.

I think after you use the offer for zero interest you have to call back and make a special request to use the card for a future purchase under similar terms.

Another great option is BestBuy credit if you don't have it it might work better in order to buy no only Apple products but many other things.

12. ddarko macrumors 6502

I used the card deal to finance a $2000 purchase last month. My minimum monthly payment is $20. They aren't exactly pushing me to pay it off the balance before the interest-free period is up. My term is 12 months - I was $4 short of the threshold that would have gotten me 18 months interest free, so dumb of me - so I'm paying $200/month to be sure I pay off the balance before the period is up.

13. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68040

Good info.
    Thank you!

----------

Good idea on the larger payments.
    THANKS

14. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

I used it for an ipad3 , I think i financed about $1000, paid it off in full before the 0% interest expired, worked well for me no problems at all. I like interest free financing. Can't remember what my monthly rate was or how many months I had. Divide the total amount you're financing by the amount of months and you'll have what you need to pay.

15. alxhrs macrumors newbie

I believe its good for your credit score - as long as you keep the line of credit open after paying it off.

I've done the 18 month 0% thing for my last few computers - never had an issue. Sell your old computer, make a few 200 dollar payments and your done.

16. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

FYI, they don't just start charging you interest, but it's retroactive. If you screw up on your last payment or don't pay it off in time, you owe all of the interest you would have paid for the whole term at like 22%.

I've done lots of these interest free deals and you just need to set up an automatic payment plan with your bank and make sure you have reminders in place to make sure you know when the last payment is due.

17. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68040

Thank you.
    and yes, I use Quicken and plan to set up auto payments for more than the minimum so that it's paid off on time and in FULL!
    It's a good deal if you are disciplined which I am.

18. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Any suggestion on how to get the zero interest promotion for a new purchase as a currently Barclay credit card customer?

19. mauka macrumors member

mauka

I used a Barclays zero interest promotion for a MacBook Pro 15 Retina when it was first released, paid it off in 12 months, and paid no interest. Didn't use the card for over a year, and they cancelled it on me. When I re-applied they denied my application, and sent me a letter citing a string of reasons.

My credit is fine, I suspect the real reason is they made no interest money off me. So what's the point of this story? I should have used the card for some small stuff after paying the Mac off. Perhaps carried a small balance and paid a few dollars interest and they might not have cancelled me.

20. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Thanks for the tip. I will do buy something then to see what happens. Strange though is that today I was over the phone and the customer advisor told me that it might be better to apply for a new card if I needed to make the purchase today. When I requested to talk to a higher level person obviously the advisor didn't want to do it and refused politely, so I left it as it is now. I will call again and see what happens.

21. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I was transferred to a Resolution Manager and they gave two options to choose one:
    1- Transfer the balance from another credit card to be under 0 interest until August 2016
    2- Have the Apple zero interest promotion as it is for new customers
    I chose number 2 and I'm very happy...New iMac here I go!:D 18 months to pay you...

22. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I was told you can't use an existing card for the zero interest promotion. McGiord, are you saying you were able to get them to give you zero interest when you called them?

23. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Yes. The first operators have nothing in their current list available, the first one that took my call didn't wanted to pass my call to a higher level. The second time I called, I asked again to the first operator, I got the same answer, then I asked to be transfer to a manager (they call them resolution manager), the lady at this level was very helpful and provided me the promotion. Take into account that credit standing as well as any other promotions that they may have for you potentially can be swapped with the apple promotion to buy directly from Apple stores, online or by phone.

24. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

I used this 6 years ago and didn't have any problems. I would probably do it again if I needed to.

25. deany, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015

deany macrumors 68030

deany

M&S bank are really good and you only pay a months interest settlement figure. You can overpay too if you wish. Applied Friday in bank following Friday 5K is £93 X 60 (or £99 X 60 for oldies). Nice people based in Chester.

I don't agree with finance of any sort except a mortgage, but I'm 50+
    but any young'uns reading this would be we advised to do without than borrow money unless it is for business/work use.

cheers