Bare essentials?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GoodWatch, Sep 28, 2007.

1. GoodWatch macrumors 6502a

GoodWatch

As I’m a MOD on a watch forum I understand that seemingly trivial newbie questions are sometimes a pain in the, ehh, neck to answer but I need your assistance. What are the bare essentials, program wise, you need with OS X? I’m used to running a couple of must haves in Windows, naming Office 2003, Nero 8.x beta, PowerArchiver, VuePrint and VueScan and a tool to catalogue my CDs. I ordered iWork ’08 with my iMac. But what would you Apple gurus recommend as the minimum to start with? I dabble in web design and use digital photographs quite a lot. Thanks in advance. :)

SHOULD HAVE READ THE FAQ, WHAT A BEGINNERS MISTAKE! BUMMER! :rolleyes:

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

3. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

Well I would recomend but this is based on a G4/Panther OS not the newer OS X out as well as the systems.
    But what works for me is Office '04 (will upgrade) surprisingly enough after three updates it's able to open,work,save XP office files!! :cool: I played a lil with iMOVIE to see waht it can do...:eek::cool: needless to say that after a while I had to mop off the pool of drool. I also use FF for my web por......errrr email, EMAIL, yeah email needs :confused:! theres nothing more fun than looking at OLD emails I always say.....?! LOL :D
    on the side I use PS/Ill CS and in time will play with Final Cut pro, and after effects.
    I haven't done anything with my mzk just yet, I'm using my PSP for my por........errrrr......easy.....listening......needs!?
    that's it for now, Hope this helps some what........oh I forgot to mention, I'm no guru but I play one at home :)

BTW:
    As you can tell I have used major sarcasm on this post :) :rolleyes:

:apple:

4. GoodWatch thread starter macrumors 6502a

GoodWatch

Nope, no sarcasm. Just plenty of Jim Beam perhaps? :rolleyes: :cool: :)

5. GoodWatch thread starter macrumors 6502a

GoodWatch

6. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

If you or anyone finds anything as wonderful as vueprint on the mac please tell me. I have never found anything on the mac as good as vueprint is. the only thing that vueprint does wrong is lack opf support for certain formats, eg png.

Nero 8 is not out as far as I know yet, but nero still essential on a pc, ick, it's horrible. it got into serious bloatware territory after about nero 5.5. (and probably was then but at least you had more control over the install)

And powerarchiver? never heard of it. but then i think with modern net speeds the need for the best archiver possible had been reduced. I prefer something that unpacks and more importantly packs fast these days!

Anyway once again, if you find anything on the mac like vueprint please send me a message! I asked back when I moved to mac but I don't think people that have not used vueprint understand how much better it is than anything else!

7. GoodWatch thread starter macrumors 6502a

GoodWatch

Yep, Nero 8 is here as I’m using it. Oops, it's a beta. I scrapped all the non essentials during the install. And bloadware has become less of an issue with the advent of 500 GB+ hard drives at low prices. PowerArchiver can handle ANY known compression format and is fast. Just right click (sorry, still a Windows user) on the file and decompress with a multitude op options. And vice-versa. Indispensable tool. VueScan is just as good as VuePrint. It turned my HP ScanJet into a very versatile tool with much control over the output.

8. portent macrumors 6502a

http://www.lemkesoft.com/content/193/key-features.html

9. Not-a-cliche macrumors regular

Office for Mac/iWork, Toast, StuffIt, not sure about VuePrint, VueScan is out for Mac, and the last one I don't know about.

10. skwij macrumors 6502