Bare Feats Posts Memory Report

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JimGoshorn, Mar 10, 2009.

1. JimGoshorn macrumors 6502

JimGoshorn

While doing research for a new Mac Pro (coming from G5 Quad) I found this new post on Bare Feats:

http://www.barefeats.com/nehal02.html

Seems that according to people in the know, the new Mac Pros are supposed to work best with memory in 3's and that's why the new Octos come with 6 sticks.

Jim

2. Igantius macrumors 65816

At the moment though there is some debate what impact utilising the additional slots has, so it'll be interesting to see what BF finds.

3. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

Yup. We plan to test using 6 versus 8 slots. Also plan to test using mixes like 1GB mixed with 2GB modules as well as 2GB mixed with 4GB modules.

We have two memory stress benchmark apps that will show the transfer rate in and out of memory in GB/s.

4. ncc1701d macrumors 6502

Thanks for the post Jim. So it looks as though you can't mix ram dimms...

EDIT: whooops! Barefeats must have read my mind and just beat me to it and is gonna test for it! Thanks - looking forward to that :)

5. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Has it been confirmed if ECC RDIMMs, non-ECC UDIMMs and ECC UDIMMs all work? I assume this is in the manual, though the digital version isn't up yet.

6. Jouhne macrumors member

from anandtech :
    "Remember back to our original i7 review; we didn’t find a big performance benefit from three channels of DDR3 versus two." Here and MaximumPC