Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Here's a very revealing test:

http://barefeats.com/rmbp13.html

If you want true ultralight, go for the 13" MBA and save $300. True, you won't have the Retina display, but you might want to wait for the rev B 13" rMBP version anyway.

If you want power for productivity and gaming, and "longevity" in the form of a discreet GPU, go for the 15" rMBP

PS: would've been a better test is they'd used the 2.3 15" rMBP...

Last edited:

willjbryan

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
What if you just want a light laptop with high resolution and good viewing angles for typical web browsing/office work? Until last week, your only option was the ASUS Zenbook Prime with its cripplingly bad ergonomics.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Every single person has different decision points for what they want in a laptop.

Just make a list of what's important to you and look at the models to see what fits.

naujoks

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
London, UK
What if you just want a light laptop with high resolution and good viewing angles for typical web browsing/office work? Until last week, your only option was the ASUS Zenbook Prime with its cripplingly bad ergonomics.

Uhm.... Sony Z? Still the best performing and lightest laptop out there!

sno1man

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
Every single person has different decision points for what they want in a laptop.

Just make a list of what's important to you and look at the models to see what fits.

EXACTLY!

I'm amazed at the number of people here that presume that what they want is what everyone wants. Not even close.

I just got my 13 retina and it's already my favorite mac ever. For me getting the best screen in the most portable package trumped everything else. I had a 15 retina for the screen and sold it after buying the 13

I'm not a gamer, but for everything I do, (illustrator, apeture lightroom, office. logic, a bit of java) the performance is more than adequate.

And people that dont see the big deal about retina, I think fit in 3 camps

1. They dont use any apps that really take advantage of it

2. They have poor eyesight (and might not realize it) and cant discern the difference

3. They haven't spent significant time using one doing real things. I still have a 15inch macbook pro with the high res screen and looking at it after using the retina is like going from an iphone to the old motorola star tac (the phone Michael Douglass uses in Wall Street)

willjbryan

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
Uhm.... Sony Z? Still the best performing and lightest laptop out there!

Doesn't have good viewing angles at all - still a TN display. I had one for a few weeks and returned it in frustration. Also more expensive than the 13" mbpr.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
The thing is the MBA's screen is really bad compared to the retina MBP screen. It's a huge difference, so if you have the money, you should definately go for the rMBP. Everything else is just rationalizing because you can't afford it..

Last edited:

Boe11

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2010
The thing is the MBA is really bad compared to the retina MBP. It's a huge difference, so if you have to money, you should definately go for the rMBP. Everything else is just rationalizing because you can't afford it..

Classic faulty argument.

"If you don't like dis you must be poor!"

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
I understand your comment, I forgot to put in the word "screen" there... Anyway, the difference between the screens is huge, and you'd have to be kidding yourself to believe that they are just about the same.
Not saying that the MBA is a crappy machine, I have one myself and love it, but I'm definately gonna by retina next time.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
So, if you like displays, then you're comparing the retina models, for example.

Your secondary decision point might be performance for your money--which you could also call longevity, eg how long you'll be happy with it. That's where the 15" retina wins. More bang for the buck.

But the 15" retina might be trumped by your size concerns, eg you really, really like to have something smaller to carry around. You're willing to pay more for something smaller.

Both 13" and 15" retina are what you might call "all-in-ones." Not much you can do to change them, and along that front, Apple is finally conceding that you really need 8 GB of RAM--while at the same time not allowing the 13" any option to upgrade to 16 GB.

You want small with more RAM? Get next year's model. Or get the 15" retina!

JCT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2004
Tucson, AZ
I understand your comment, I forgot to put in the word "screen" there... Anyway, the difference between the screens is huge, and you'd have to be kidding yourself to believe that they are just about the same.
Not saying that the MBA is a crappy machine, I have one myself and love it, but I'm definately gonna by retina next time.

I'm moving from the original 11" MBA to a 13" retina. I had the chance to see the 13" MBA and 13" retina side-by-side today and no joke, the difference was simply mind-blowing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.