Bare minimum Windows XP Partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mpb2000, Feb 17, 2011.

1. mpb2000 macrumors regular

I see so many different answers to this question, so I hope I can get a general consensus. I have to install XP with boot camp, but all I need to use is Internet Explorer so I can access something at work (no mac support). So, all I have to install is the OS and that's it. I'm never going to install anything else on that partition. How many GB should I give to the Windows partition? I want to keep as much space as possible on the Mac side.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why not a VM?

IE should work fine.

B

3. mpb2000 thread starter macrumors regular

Tried. What I need to do won't work on a virtual machine.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You can definitely get away with 15 GB, I had it on my iMac, but I've seen reports of as small as 5 GB with nLite.

I ran into problems upgrading to SP3 and ended up giving it more space.

B

5. vistadude macrumors 65816

I think 10 GB is do-able... But get a windows disc with the service pack integrated so you don't have to unpack it. Turn off hibernation, system restore, and make the pagefile small.

I wonder if you could use windows 2000 instead?

6. Simmity macrumors newbie

Simmity

5 Gigabytes for windows xp sp3 is sufficient, the absolute minimum is 1,5 GB for windows xp but the service packs require more space. For windows vista and 7 you will need atleast 15 GB of hdd space. Note that the page file might be as large as your RAM. So if you have 4 GB of ram you wil need to have atleast 8-9 GB of hdd space for windows xp ( or disable the page file).