Barebone notebook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Muncher, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

The other day I came across the concept of a barebone notebook, and was inspired to try my hand at building a laptop. I've looked around, and I really can't find many places that sell them. MSI's website shows a 'new' Montevina model; montevina is released (supposedly) July 14. When do you guys think those models will show up in stores? I would assume not long, montevina having been delayed and all.

Also, if anyone knows where to get cheap(er) Socket P processors for the laptop, please let me know.

Thank y'all for yer help.

EDIT: If any of you could point me towards a relatively modern barebone laptop that's inexpensive, I would really appreciate it.

2. Muncher thread starter macrumors 65816

Muncher

3. Slider388 macrumors newbie

Hey man,
    do you use msn, xfire, or aim? Email me or post your adress in this thread, I know a lot about barebone notebooks, we could IM a bit. I know this probably sounds kinda wierd coming as someone's first post, but I'd like to help.:):cool:

4. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

I dont know how much hardware tinkering you plan to do, but what about the Asus EEE or one of the other netbooks? Software-wise, they are basically designed for tinkering, and hardware-wise, they are pretty standard but cheap, so you're not shelling out a lot if you're planning to tear them down.

5. Slider388 macrumors newbie

Whitebooks are pretty fun to play with, hardware-wise. For a Barebone NB with something like 4Gb of ram, a 2.0GHZ T8300 dual core 45nm CPU, a 250 GB HDD and then a wifi adapter and a few other tidbits it would probably cost you about 700-1200 US$. True, they aren't cheap, especially compared to an Eee or a Wind, but they are definatly fun to make, they can be customized to your tastes, and for whats in them, they're almost definatly cheaper than a dell or hp type notebook, especially if you go into the gaming or ultraportable range.

6. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Asus offers a lot of barebone choices...I don't know if they updated their platform yet. They usually do within a reasonable amount of time though.

Take a look at the Asus C90s. That thing is a monster, and is considered one of the most desired barebones. Very Very Very easy to install various components.

7. TSE macrumors 68030

8. Slider388 macrumors newbie

@ peapody
    Asus did offer a quite a few barebone notebooks, they discontinued them all a few weeks ago.

@TSE
    A barebone notebook is a notebook that you can buy, and then you choose and install the most important guts, such as the cpu, ram, hdd, wifi card, bluetooth card, and sometimes even graphics card. That way you can adapt everything to make yourself a custom laptop, and usually save a lot of money too, as long as you have the technical knowledge. However, there are lots of guides for it online, and I would even say that its easier than building a desktop pc from scratch.