Barebones MacBook?

FSB-SPY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I love Apple, but I do not love overpaying for the ridiculously-priced RAM/HDD upgrades they offer to their MacBook configurations. Are there any sites out there that gut MacBooks and just sell you the very bare essentials to save money? I do not even want Leopard or any other pre-installed software if that saves additional money.

Just a shot in the dark; I've been a PC user for a very long time but I always preferred Apple's aesthetic quality that they brought to their products.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I love Apple, but I do not love overpaying for the ridiculously-priced RAM/HDD upgrades they offer to their MacBook configurations. Are there any sites out there that gut MacBooks and just sell you the very bare essentials to save money? I do not even want Leopard or any other pre-installed software if that saves additional money.

Just a shot in the dark; I've been a PC user for a very long time but I always preferred Apple's aesthetic quality that they brought to their products.
Besides something FOSS, what would you run on it?

Who pays for Apple upgrades? :confused:

FSB-SPY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'd put Windows XP on it -- something I already own and do not have to pay for.

I guess I just wanted to see if somehow I could attain a Macbook without paying for the 1GB RAM and minus the 160GB HDD which come bundled in the default "low-end" config off of Apple's website.

I'd then simply go to macsales.com and get the 4GB upgrade and use a bigger/faster HDD as well.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I'd put Windows XP on it -- something I already own and do not have to pay for.

I guess I just wanted to see if somehow I could attain a Macbook without paying for the 1GB RAM and minus the 160GB HDD which come bundled in the default "low-end" config off of Apple's website.

I'd then simply go to macsales.com and get the 4GB upgrade and use a bigger/faster HDD as well.
I'm sure you can find a MacBook with out an operating system but you more then likely wouldn't be able to get it through Apple or a reseller.

ruku

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2007
reinvigorating this thread, i would also love a barebook. id put a decent screen (never thought id be one to want to change out a glossy for a matte but i do) id select a video chip that doesnt have fans screaming at it when i do something as simple as watching a youtube video (shame shame and how much better would this make a macbook) and id put in 4 gig of ram and at least a 320 gig hdd. i may even update the cpu throughout the barebooks useful lifespan.

monkey86

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2008
London
reinvigorating this thread, i would also love a barebook. id put a decent screen (never thought id be one to want to change out a glossy for a matte but i do) id select a video chip that doesnt have fans screaming at it when i do something as simple as watching a youtube video (shame shame and how much better would this make a macbook) and id put in 4 gig of ram and at least a 320 gig hdd. i may even update the cpu throughout the barebooks useful lifespan.
you couldnt change the video chip without killing the logic board.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
We have a thing about bringing back old threads... we don't like it. And no, you can't give it a different GPU.

CWallace

macrumors 604
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Well at that point, just buy a dead MacBook and gut it and then custom-build a new systemboard for it and add in all the parts you want.

This is Apple, not ASUS. It's about providing a complete end-to-end solution, not an empty shell you can mix and match every part.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.