Barebones MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FSB-SPY, Nov 2, 2007.

1. FSB-SPY macrumors newbie

I love Apple, but I do not love overpaying for the ridiculously-priced RAM/HDD upgrades they offer to their MacBook configurations. Are there any sites out there that gut MacBooks and just sell you the very bare essentials to save money? I do not even want Leopard or any other pre-installed software if that saves additional money.

Just a shot in the dark; I've been a PC user for a very long time but I always preferred Apple's aesthetic quality that they brought to their products.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Besides something FOSS, what would you run on it?

Who pays for Apple upgrades? :confused:

3. FSB-SPY thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd put Windows XP on it -- something I already own and do not have to pay for.

I guess I just wanted to see if somehow I could attain a Macbook without paying for the 1GB RAM and minus the 160GB HDD which come bundled in the default "low-end" config off of Apple's website.

I'd then simply go to macsales.com and get the 4GB upgrade and use a bigger/faster HDD as well.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm sure you can find a MacBook with out an operating system but you more then likely wouldn't be able to get it through Apple or a reseller.

5. ruku macrumors member

reinvigorating this thread, i would also love a barebook. id put a decent screen (never thought id be one to want to change out a glossy for a matte but i do) id select a video chip that doesnt have fans screaming at it when i do something as simple as watching a youtube video (shame shame and how much better would this make a macbook) and id put in 4 gig of ram and at least a 320 gig hdd. i may even update the cpu throughout the barebooks useful lifespan.

6. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

you couldnt change the video chip without killing the logic board.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

We have a thing about bringing back old threads... we don't like it. And no, you can't give it a different GPU.

8. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Well at that point, just buy a dead MacBook and gut it and then custom-build a new systemboard for it and add in all the parts you want.

This is Apple, not ASUS. It's about providing a complete end-to-end solution, not an empty shell you can mix and match every part.