Barefeats verdict on iMac with ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by david6545, May 22, 2008.

1. david6545 macrumors member

Just read Barefeats latest iMac/ mac pro test results and, surprisingly, it looks like the iMac with Radeon 2600 might be the best choice for all but really keen gamers. Plus the advantage of being able to buy a non-BTO iMac, FWIW

Here are a few quotes:

"Again, our jaw dropped when the iMac 2.8 beat the iMac 3.06 -- badly. Both iMacs had 4GB of RAM, but the 2.8 had the Radeon 2600 Pro and the iMac 3.06 had the GeForce 8800 GS. That was the only difference".

"The ATI Radeon 2600 Pro (and XT) is supposed to be a weaker graphics processor than the optional GeForce 8800 GS (and GT). But in this case, it's not weaker".

"If you are an avid 3D gamer, there is a strong argument for buying the optional GeForce 8800 GS or GT. If you are not, the Radeon 2600 Pro or XT will likely serve you better".

http://www.barefeats.com/imp03.html

2. D4F Guest

D4F

I use the 2600 on my Mac Pro and the 8800 on the iMac

With Silo 2.0.5 with 4 split view my Pro crashes due to OpenGL not being able to handle the graphics.

my iMac on the other hand has no issues with 4 split view and handles the application like a champ.

Sorry to say but those generalizing the 'PRO' word totally mislead many people driving them into a dead corner.

In some apps it's better and in some is worse. PLEASE people, make sure you write that correctly as you are posting a totally wrong statement and many might make the wrong choice.

3. david6545 thread starter macrumors member

Barefeats made the statements, not me. ;)

4. sfroom macrumors regular

Wow. I hope new video card drivers are released soon. The barefeats results, especially the iMovie results, are borderline embarassing.

When the 3.06 iMac w/ 8800 GS was released...I was very pleased, as it represented the first "full package" (i.e. overall performance and moderate gaming) iMac since the 2.33 w/ 7600 GT.

I might wait until either a) the mini gets upgraded, or b) new drivers are released for the 8800 GS before taking the plunge.