Barely functioning wifi on Power Mac G5.

JohnnyH1012

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2014
New Jersey, USA
So I finally got my Power Mac G5 a proper airport express card after using an iffy usb dongle for about a year now. For about a day, it worked perfectly, and now it is choking on everything. I am able to get about a couple of packets though before it stops functioning. Although my router is maybe 20 ft away, it shows the connection strength as really low, and neither the fourfold or safari are able to load a thing. Any ideas?

bunnspecial

macrumors 604
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I'm going to assume that you have an AGP-based G5. If yours is PCI-E(late '05 models) this won't apply.

Do you have the external antenna installed? The G5 case is basically a big Faraday cage, and the signal strength is crummy without this external antenna. If you look on the back panel, there should be a port marked with the Airport logo. The Airport antenna is a T-shaped piece of plastic that plugs in here and shipped with the G5, but they are rare as hens' teeth now.

I don't have the antenna, so I took about a 2 foot long piece of solid 24 gauge wire, stripped the end, and shoved it in the center hole of this port. My signal strength is now great.

JohnnyH1012

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2014
New Jersey, USA
Wow! Surely enough, I put a staple in the wireless antenna port on the back, taped a paper-clip to it for some extra range, and now its perfect. Well, perfect ignoring the fact that what was a 2k+ pro machine has a paperclip hanging off the back :p; its better than spending the $60+ dollars for a new antenna on Amazon!

Dronecatcher

macrumors 68040
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Wow! Surely enough, I put a staple in the wireless antenna port on the back, taped a paper-clip to it for some extra range, and now its perfect. Well, perfect ignoring the fact that what was a 2k+ pro machine has a paperclip hanging off the back :p; its better than spending the $60+ dollars for a new antenna on Amazon!
Taking no chances......

wifi.jpg