Barely perceptible click on new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by illusiumd, May 10, 2017.

1. illusiumd macrumors newbie

I have to return my 2013 MBP 15" to work - loved it so much I bought a new 2015 15" (not that fond of the 2016s). It drives me crazy when there's such a small thing that bugs me - but ->

The trackpad barely registers a click on the new laptop - it's a very shallow press to click. My 2013 had a real tactile responsive "click" when I pressed down. Anyone else experience a shallow click? I'm wondering if I'll just get used to it or if I should return it for a new one...

2. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

there is no click in the 2015+ models its due to the force touch trackpad. the "click" you are getting is actually feedback from the taptic engine inside the computer.

3. MC6800 macrumors 6502

Do you see in System Preferences > Trackpad > Point & Click a "Silent clicking" option, possibly checked?

4. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

As others have pointed out - the new "click" is haptic feedback from the motors, not an actual click. It comes with multiple advantages - click anywhere on the trackpad, 2nd deeper click for preview/look up, pressure detection, etc. However, it does have a smaller click.

Still, you'll probably get used to it. It's really good, actually.

5. illusiumd thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah ha! Glad I posted here first before I got too riled up :) Thanks all.