Bargain basement bimma

Discussion in 'Picture Gallery' started by taylorwilsdon, Jun 3, 2009.

1. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

This is what $7,000 buys you these days. 290hp V8 that still passes for a new car to the layman.

Nice 'n low:
    [​IMG]
    Lotsa camber:
    [​IMG]
    New silver carbon fiber interior teaser:
    [​IMG]
    Before the carbon fiber:
    [​IMG]

Yes, I actually paid 7000 cash for the car. Yes, I have way more money than that into it now.

2. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

I've been searching high and low for a 540i 6speed around here. I have it saved as an autotrader search but most are around $10k around here with 120k miles.

How many miles does yours have? I can't tell but which model /tranny is it?

Zack

3. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

110k miles, but its an autotragic. An M5 is in my future whenever student loans get good. This puppy is paid cash so I don't mind carrying 5k of extra student loan debt to have a little more fun.

4. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

5. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Haha, have I researched :D A thousand posts at bimmerforums will answer that question.

I wrench, so there isn't really a $$$ problem. Parts aren't crazy expensive. I have replaced the entire cooling system and suspension, as well as most of the failure parts (spark plugs, valve cover gaskets) and I'm replacing the fuel filter whenever I get the inclination to order it.

For the record, the radiator and expansion tank are only $250 total for new OEM parts. Labor at a reasonable indy would be like 200 bucks. I've spent like a thousand in maintenance since I bought it, but that includes 600 for all cooling components, and an oil change with the good stuff. Now that I'm done, it will probably cost 500 or less a year to maintain... a hell of a lot less than car payments.

edit - if you have questions about these wonderful cars, feel free to PM me. I know a helluvalot about E39s, but way more about the v8s than the i6s.

6. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

nice snag. I have been searching myself. I "need" something like this

7. thunderweb macrumors 6502

thunderweb

8. Burning Radio macrumors regular

9. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

What a beaut! Did you do the aftermarket nav system yourself or was that already there?

10. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Did it myself, thanks for the compliment :) I used the Janus kit for the bezel.

11. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

Nice, I am thinking about trading my Trans Am in for a 2000ish BMW M5 in a year, maybe... Looks like a hell of a sleeper, oh and insurance is cheaper and has 4-Doors.

12. Vogue Harper macrumors 6502

Vogue Harper

That's really nicely done - Beemers are notoriously difficult to pull off any sort of aftermarket ICE because most jar so much with the rest of the console but looks good in your car.

13. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

If you live like a professional when your a student, when your a professional you will live like a student. :cool:

14. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Would love to have one of them in a few years, heres hoping my Dad gets a new Car (He Has an '02 525D Tourer in Silver with M Body Kit, love it)