Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SE for $200 or 6s for $250?

• SE 32gb for $200

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • 6s 32gb for $250

Votes: 27 77.1%

• Total voters

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Looking at adding an extra budget line on xfinity mobile. They have the 32gb SE for $200 and 32gb 6s for $250. Which is better for the money at this point?

Realistically, I probably will then get it unlocked and move the sim for that line to an android phone. May become a trade phone depending on what the carrier promos are when the new iPhones come out in September.

Thanks!

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
I'd go 6s tbh. If there were a slightly bigger size go for that but if budget comes into play and that price point is key then go 6s.

Are you worried about screen size? What do you use now?

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Since they have practically same specifications, it comes down to screen size, and we cant pick that for you, no matter how much you think a poll is worth.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Money-wise, I'd go with 6S. You'd probably get higher than $50 difference in resale/trade-in value between those two models despite internals being mostly the same.

Also, brand new prepaid iPhone SE is going for $150-200 right now. I think the $150 is discounted pricing but $200 is regular so there's not gonna be much demand there. Meanwhile, the 6s is the fastest 4.7" iPhone that still has a headphone jack.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Looking at adding an extra budget line on xfinity mobile. They have the 32gb SE for $200 and 32gb 6s for $250. Which is better for the money at this point?

Realistically, I probably will then get it unlocked and move the sim for that line to an android phone. May become a trade phone depending on what the carrier promos are when the new iPhones come out in September.

Thanks!

Both have similar internal specifications. But the iPhone 6s does have 3D Touch, the better display, and if you can appreciate the larger screen, that would be my choice. But I think it really comes down to The size the display as well.

invisibleshoes

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
6S in my opinion. Bigger screen estate and 3D touch is worth it (imo). Will easily last you at least 3 years or more. Plus, it's the last iPhone with a headphone jack. ;) I upgraded to the 7+ and kinda regretted it. My 6S was nearly two years and ran like a champ.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Thanks guys. You bring good points about the benefits of the 6s for that relatively small price delta. Sounds like that's the better choice.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
3D Touch alone is something I thought I'd not use much but I use it every single day and would miss it if I didn't have it!

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
6s for $50 more.

If it was $200 SE vs 16gb 6S for $250, then I would say SE.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
iPhone 6s for sure. I seen the iPhone SE at Walmart on StraightTalk for $129. Which I think is a really good price btw...

For $50 price difference it’s the 6s all the way. The 6s is still a great phone and it’s still the last iPhone I bought on launch day. Though I do have a 7 Plus now ... there’s something about the 6s and 6s Plus

JustJoshua

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2016
Almost a year now with my Se and I really am addicted to the battery life.
If the 6s battery performs like the Se I would go with the 6s as I would prefer a bigger screen. The Se battery life is a really good however.

Reactions: Saturn007

atlas_0

Suspended
Dec 30, 2016
Money-wise, I'd go with 6S. You'd probably get higher than $50 difference in resale/trade-in value between those two models despite internals being mostly the same.

Also, brand new prepaid iPhone SE is going for $150-200 right now. I think the $150 is discounted pricing but $200 is regular so there's not gonna be much demand there. Meanwhile, the 6s is the fastest 4.7" iPhone that still has a headphone jack.

I agree with Rui. The 6S is the better buy of the two, just because the SE goes for that normally on prepaid and on the used market.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
One thing I will say as a pro for the SE over the 6s is it has a fair bit better battery life vs the 6s

It's also lighter and can be used one handed comfortably...If youre in a large city where that can be useful, think of use as well.
That 6s does seem like better value though given the features (LTE a and higher band support, WiFi W mimobih addition to what others have mentioned) for only 50$ more...but the longer battery life of the SE and it's light weight are selling points for some!

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
I have both, and given the choice I prefer the SE over the 6s. The rationale being twofold - battery life and form factor.

The SE definitely has better battery life from my experience.

I prefer the smaller form factor of the SE, as it's easier to carry, fits in my pockets without being bulky, and can be used one handed far more easily than the 6s.

When the new iPhone drops later this year I'm taking advantage of the pricing changes that affect existing models and giving up my 6s for another SE.

MacDann

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008

Thanks!

Personally I would go with the 6s due to size and slightly better specs. But personal preference. With an adjustment period, I could live with the SE form factor. Fits pockets much better than my 7+

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I would go for the 6s. I feel that overall it was the better device. I went through 3 SE models and they had strange logic board issues. Plus I was one of the few who just did not like that form factor.

I have to say, I loved the iPhone 6, 6s, and I like the 7 Plus for style.

The 6s with an Apple battery case can last me a full two days. It's great.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I wanted to add a bit more to this discussion:
I do find a fresh battery in the 6s is pretty good for battery life. Problem is the small capacity - so after using it for a few years the battery life takes a nose dive. But it can get through a working day without much issue. A fresh 6s battery should get one about 4-5 hours on screen time which is generally enough for a full day. But I noticed with my 6s, my moms old 6s, my dad's old 6s, my sister's old 6s that the battery takes a sharp hit after it loses capacity. It's still such a fast powerful phone one could make do with replacing the battery for a fresh experience

That said, the SE has the best battery life for a non plus sized iPhone, for sure. I think it's important to consider when making a decision. I had to use one recently as a travel phone and it was incredible, small light super fast can use one handed and it was fantastic when navigating especially pulling a suit case in the other direction. Has a great camera as well and fits in pockets and bags without issue. My usage of it made me fall in love with the form factor and size/weight combo again.

Hadn't given the SE a proper long term shake prior to that, but I noticed it lasted longer when compared to my 6s or 7. A quick gander online and on YouTube battery tests seems to indicate the same thing: best battery life for non plus iPhone. Pretty incredible for such a small phone!

For 50$ more you get more modern tech that will be relevant moving forward, but for 50$ less you don't really get a downgrade...It's just a different experience. Up to you what that extra 50$ is worth. I still maintain the 6s is better value overall but the SE should be given strong consideration as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.