Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ViktorEvil

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
90
117
England
Hi I have the opportunity to buy a nMP 6C D500 256GB still sealed for £1750.

I am currently developing an indie game using a 2014 Mac Mini and would want to keep the new machine for a couple of years. I'm just debating if I should wait for a possible new 5K iMac in the next month or so, maybe a new nMP a few months later? Or just grab the 6C whilst I can?

I use Unity and MayaLT with this Mac Mini but I feel MayaLT will benefit from the D500s or even the discrete GPU in the iMac would be better than the Intel iris.

Very tempted to get the 6C I've been offered :)
 
Jul 4, 2015
4,487
2,551
Paris
Hi I have the opportunity to buy a nMP 6C D500 256GB still sealed for £1750.

I am currently developing an indie game using a 2014 Mac Mini and would want to keep the new machine for a couple of years. I'm just debating if I should wait for a possible new 5K iMac in the next month or so, maybe a new nMP a few months later? Or just grab the 6C whilst I can?

I use Unity and MayaLT with this Mac Mini but I feel MayaLT will benefit from the D500s or even the discrete GPU in the iMac would be better than the Intel iris.

Very tempted to get the 6C I've been offered :)

You can build a cMP 12 core for £1000 by upgrading an 8 core 4,1. With the other £750 you can add a Samsung 850 Evo, 16GB memory, and a decent graphics card.

Or you can wait for a four core Skylake nMP and sell this nMP when it comes.
 

ViktorEvil

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
90
117
England
I had thought about a cMP but I wondered how long do you think a cMP will be supported by the latest OS X without requiring some sort of hack to get it on there?

Really can't be bothered messing with the OS after every update.
 
Jul 4, 2015
4,487
2,551
Paris
I had thought about a cMP but I wondered how long do you think a cMP will be supported by the latest OS X without requiring some sort of hack to get it on there?

Really can't be bothered messing with the OS after every update.

OSX will officially support the 'stock' configuration of the cMP as long as it supports x86 64bit processors and the graphics card the machines shipped with. If you upgrade the graphics card then you will have to keep checking into see if drivers will be available.
 

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
16,606
8,531
Hong Kong
The latest cMP sold at early 2013. By considering the 2008 model can still run 10.11 natively. I wouldn't worry about the OSX support in the next few years (unless there is a sudden big change in the hardware architecture).
 
Jul 4, 2015
4,487
2,551
Paris
The latest cMP sold at early 2013. By considering the 2008 model can still run 10.11 natively. I wouldn't worry about the OSX support in the next few years (unless there is a sudden big change in the hardware architecture).

It's only the graphics card and the installer you have to kinda worry about. OSX 10.10.12 Mandingo could have an installer that says 'Your system is unsupported' just because a supported EFI graphics card isn't presented and old EFI cards have been dropped. So you will have to hack the installer. Or hope Apple really does allow OSX to be installed on any X86 computer.
 
Last edited:

ViktorEvil

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
90
117
England
I was a bit too late. its been sold already :(

looks like ill wait to see what the Skylake 5K iMac is like, then order a fully loaded one :)

if Apple did allow OSX to be installed on off the shelf PC parts that would be awesome, but I really cant see that happening any time soon.
 

tuxon86

macrumors 65816
May 22, 2012
1,321
477
Hi I have the opportunity to buy a nMP 6C D500 256GB still sealed for £1750.

I am currently developing an indie game using a 2014 Mac Mini and would want to keep the new machine for a couple of years. I'm just debating if I should wait for a possible new 5K iMac in the next month or so, maybe a new nMP a few months later? Or just grab the 6C whilst I can?

I use Unity and MayaLT with this Mac Mini but I feel MayaLT will benefit from the D500s or even the discrete GPU in the iMac would be better than the Intel iris.

Very tempted to get the 6C I've been offered :)

As both Unity and Maya run on PC also, you could also go that route. For the amount of $ you have you can get a nice i7 pc with a great GPU...
 

ViktorEvil

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
90
117
England
As both Unity and Maya run on PC also, you could also go that route. For the amount of $ you have you can get a nice i7 pc with a great GPU...
Yes I thought of that as well but I would still need a Mac to build iOS apps, plus I'm pretty much hooked on OSX and the whole integration with my iPhone, iPad etc
 

ViktorEvil

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2014
90
117
England
Now if Apple released some sort of official motherboard that you can install your own parts on then run OSX that would be something else
 

tuxon86

macrumors 65816
May 22, 2012
1,321
477
Yes I thought of that as well but I would still need a Mac to build iOS apps, plus I'm pretty much hooked on OSX and the whole integration with my iPhone, iPad etc

You'll still have your mac mini for the final build... And for your iPhone, iPad...
 

tuxon86

macrumors 65816
May 22, 2012
1,321
477
I keep my old trusty 2010 iMac 21.5" just for XCode and other proprietary OSX software. I have a Dell XPS8700 i7 with a GTX 980Ti for my main coding/video/gaming workstation.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.