Bargaining at the Apple Store

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trb102589, Jun 11, 2008.

1. trb102589 macrumors newbie

Later this month my friends and I are taking a trip down to the Apple Store in Columbus. Two of us are buying Macbook Pros and one of us is buying a Macbook (black). The total will probably come out to over 6 grand between the three of us. We're all college students and will be getting the printers and iPod touch's as well. With so much money being spent in one go does anyone think we could wrangle a few extra perks out of the apple store? Has anyone every been offered a mighty mouse or a keyboard? I'm not trying to be greedy but I'm just wondering if this type of thing has ever happened.

Thanks!

Tim

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

They won't offer you anything else. You pay retail price and they'll honor the current promotions. We bought a Mac Pro and 2 30" cinema displays last year for the office along with a few other things and they just put it onto a dolly and brought it out to the car.

3. Shabbis macrumors regular

Not to be rude, but it's an Apple retail store, not a flea market!

4. 88888888 macrumors 6502a

5. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

did you really?

I've bought so much from the apple store and they never want to bargain with me, haha. It's not like BB or anything...its a real store!

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

At Apple you get what you pay for. That's all.

7. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

as how it should be. it looks really bad when a store cuts deals because then it sends a message that they're ripping off everyone else who doesn't get a deal.

8. f1 macrumors 6502

Your getting an education discount, free printer, free iPod, should they hand over the lease to the store as well?

9. furious macrumors 65816

furious

Give it a shot. It won't hurt. If you could get a keyboard or mm off of them that is a bargain. If you get nothing you still walk away with a shiny new MBP. :D

So what I am saying is you cannot lose by trying. I bargain all the time. Saves my hundreds of dollars a year. :cool:

10. trb102589 thread starter macrumors newbie

I wasn't even expecting anything. I'm ready to shell out my 2 grand or so with no questions asked. I just didn't know if any apple employee threw in an item or two.

11. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Ask em.

If its a chick, make her smile ;).

I don't haggle with guys...so no advice on that one.
    Sheesh that just sounds weird.

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I hate it when people try to bargain. The price is the price.

Sure it's appropriate in some situations but not when you're buying an Apple machine.

13. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

well some people say they got free applecare. that's worth bargaining for. why isn't it appropriate when buying an apple machine? ur already spending a few grand.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't exactly bargain, but if I already bought something and say I'm getting a repair, I do try to get a replacement, faster fix, deal, etc. I get my student discounts and I'm happy.

Bargaining for software is okay because the profits are small anyways, so it okay when you're buying a computer; when you haggle for hardware, the profits are huge so why would they give that to you? It's like printer companies: Give you a free printer and charge you $20 for a ink cartridge that lasts like 50 pages.

I hate hagglers at official stores; if you're going to bargain, you have no business buying that product.

15. f1 macrumors 6502

I use to work in Apple retail, you will get NOTHING by bargaining, no matter how hard you try. Managers will get in trouble by head office for offering free stuff, and your already getting a discount for being a student so they can't offer you any more discounts.

16. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Depends how sexy you are :cool:

I went in to read the meter and the chick at the counter handed me a Mac Pro.

17. agbot macrumors regular

If you're looking for a bargain, why not buy the three laptops from Amazon, pay no tax, opt for free shipping, pay less than what the Apple Store charges, save gas to and from Columbus (don't know how far your drive is), and get a $150 rebate per MB Pro and $75-$100 rebate on the MB?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&plgroup=3&docId=1000201851

Edit: That's probably around $800 in savings just on the MB and MB Pros alone vs walking into an Apple Store. I think you can then buy yourselves a bunch of Mighty Mouses (err... Mighty Mice) and keyboards with that. :)

18. trb102589 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd do that if I wasn't getting an iPod Touch for free. If Amazon did that then I'd be all over it.

19. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We talked about bargaining in a thread I happen to remember, but I never assumed that you could bargain at an Apple Store, and I've never tried it.

20. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Look at the titile again,

and tell me what you think

21. EricBrian macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

If all else fails, get a job with a company who has an agreement with Apple to sell at reduced prices not only to the company but also employee purchases. :)

22. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

so r u 1 ofthose people? what company?

23. EricBrian macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

Maybe. :)

24. mBurns macrumors 6502

Many companies have EPPs (Employee Purchase Programs) with Apple. This allows individuals to use a special address online (similar to the Edu Store) to buy items at a discount or go into a brick and mortar store and show their badge to get the discount. Usually the Edu discount is better though. I believe most EPPs get you ~5% off on non-Apple items (including software) and ~10% on hardware.

25. Jozone macrumors 6502

In my experience EPP was exactly the same price, but given the current edu promotions you're far better off mailing away for touch/printer and bartering those down the line ;)