Barnes & Nobles eReader - The Nook

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mikeyPotg, Oct 20, 2009.

1. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

Barnes & Nobles just announced their "kindle-killer" and it looks sweet!

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/20/barnes-and-noble-officially-launches-nook-e-reader-259-pre-orde/

It sounds sweet and is a bit cheaper than the Kindle. I bought a used Kindle about 9 months ago and I've loved it, but this thing looks great. My only concern is that all of the ebooks I bought on the Kindle likely won't be able to transfer (unless someone can please tell me otherwise).

I guess I'll wait til November and see Amazons comeback, which I hope is sweet... but I'll have to hold off on buying ebooks until I see what happens.
    Why can't all ebook readers get along and make it so that you can read any ebook on any machine... similar to most mp3 players?

2. Doju macrumors 68000

Argh. I really want to enter the eBook Reader market but there's so many releases lately that I want to watch my step.

For one, the Kindle, as you said may issue an update to combat this.

Plastic Logic is releasing their "Que" eBook Reader in the beginning of 2010. Touch screen e-ink without the blur that normally adds. Makes annotating and browsing in general a lot easier

And above all, it's been predicted that Apple will enter this market soon. Grrr.

Advice? I'm leaning towards the Nook. I'd go with the Que but it seems too far away.

Is it available in Canada?

3. mikeyPotg thread starter macrumors 6502

If you can hold off, I'd honestly wait a little bit until we hear more about DRM-free books, or just any sort of ebook that can be read on any machine.
    It HAS to happen if the ebook industry wants to take off.

4. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

5. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I have a 1st generation Kindle and love it. But this Nook looks awesome. I'm sure Amazon will take notice and replicate some of it's features for the 3rd gen Kindle otherwise I may seriously look at buying the Nook. I doubt I'll be able to transfer my Kindle book purchases though.

6. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

This book reader war is good for everybody. I'm personally waiting to see how everything shakes down, but I'm happy to see more entries into the market.

7. blurredline macrumors 6502

blurredline

It says on the B&N website that it is not available to buy outside of the US right now.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to bring one into Canada and just use it as an e-Book reader with PDF's? I really want one up here.

8. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

I personally think it looks amazing. I've always been very interested in the Kindle but hesitant to buy it because I have felt that what it offers hasn't been quite worth the price I'd be paying for it. The nook, however, seems to offer a great product with a lot of features for a price that isn't too exorbitant.

Also, I was amused- it's barely been out for a day, and there are already google ads for it :p

Attached Files:

9. mikeyPotg thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't be surprised... this is Google we're talking about!

After watching the video of the Nook, I'm still impressed, however, I noticed a bit of lag with the screen and I'm not too keen on that. Small, I know, but still! Can't wait to see what Amazon pulls up its sleeve.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Why wouldn't there be? B&N should be shot if they didn't have a Google keyword campaign ready to go at launch.

11. gojyogrl macrumors newbie

nook and Mac OS 10.4

Hi, this is my first post to the forums and I hope someone can help. I just preordered a Barnes & Noble nook and I see on its Web site that it will work on Mac OS. However, no one can tell me if it will work when connected to a Mac (w/Intel processor) running OS 10.4.11.

Many people have waited an hour or more with BN tech support, but I hope someone here may know the answer before I call them.

The new version of BN ereader program works with OS 10.5 or higher, and the recent software update on the nook appears to be similar.

I also have a Mac Intel laptop running 10.5, so I can also connect the nook to that if necessary.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.