Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Surtees Studios recently announced it has released a public beta of Bartender 3 for testing on macOS High Sierra and macOS Sierra. It's a free update available within Bartender 2, which costs $15 after a free four-week trial.

bartender-2-800x388.jpg

The popular tool for rearranging or hiding Mac menu bar items has been completely rewritten in Swift, according to the release notes.

Bartender 3 also no longer requires the Bartender Helper to be installed in menu bar apps in order to control them. As a result, Bartender is no longer able to display the Bartender Bar beneath the menu bar--only within it.

The change was necessary since, in macOS High Sierra, Apple has apparently tightened its System Integrity Protection security feature, preventing system items like Spotlight search from being controlled by Bartender 2.

iStat Menus 5 was also recently updated with improved support for macOS High Sierra and MacBook Pro, MacBook, and iMac models released in 2017.

istat-menus-5-header-cpu-800x349.jpg

The popular Mac system monitor also gained improved per-process network monitoring, improved per-process memory monitoring in OS X El Capitan and macOS Sierra, improved Bluetooth battery monitoring, and improved disk monitoring performance, plus a fix for an issue with the sun position in light map.

iStat Menus is built into the macOS menu bar, providing power users with convenient access to system information, such as CPU and GPU usage, memory stats, fan speeds, temperatures, disk usage, and battery life.

iStat Menus 5 is $18 on developer Bjango's website, with a free 14-day trial available. The latest update is version 5.32.

(Thanks, Neil T.!)

Article Link: Menu Bar Tools Bartender 3 and iStat Menus 5 Now Support macOS High Sierra

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
$18 for a single install still seems like way too much for iStat Menus, especially when I'd be fine with a free lite version.

Over the years there have been alternatives developed after iStat Menus went paid, like Menu Meters which I was using on OS X Mavericks, but unfortunately I'm not aware of any that work on Sierra or High Sierra.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
I was literally not going to install High Sierra if bartender wasn't going to be compatible. Nothing in the new OS worth losing one of the most useful utilities on my Mac. Amazing Apple doesn't offer another way to organize that mess known as the toolbar!

Reactions: sfobear

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I love Bartender but it's too bad you can't have the menu at underneath when you click the more icon in this new update. This article also mentions Spotlight—so is it not going to be editable at all going forward? I like turning off Spotlight and only using a keyboard shortcut. I also turn off the Notification Center icon and use a gesture to invoke. This is like half my reason for using this app. I don't mind installing the helper because this is a system utility. Hope they still provide the option and can hack something together!

sfobear

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I was literally not going to install High Sierra if bartender wasn't going to be compatible. Nothing in the new OS worth losing one of the most useful utilities on my Mac. Amazing Apple doesn't offer another way to organize that mess known as the toolbar!
I'm right there with you. This was the first time I ever even considered not upgrading, but I was going to put it off if I couldn't use Bartender.

I'm really glad the developer figured out a solution to what is becoming the SIP problem.
[doublepost=1504508489][/doublepost]
I love bartender but it’s starting to feel like I give them $15 a year
Note the update to Bartender 3 is free, which is a pretty good deal considering the developer had to update the app because of changes in macOS, something completely out of their control. Up to macOS beta 3, the developer tested and verified that Bartender 2 worked just fine.

(https://www.macbartender.com/blog/)

Reactions: pdaholic

poi ran

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2014
Scandinavia
$18 for a single install still seems like way too much for iStat Menus, especially when I'd be fine with a free lite version.

Over the years there have been alternatives developed after iStat Menus went paid, like Menu Meters which I was using on OS X Mavericks, but unfortunately I'm not aware of any that work on Sierra or High Sierra.

I'm using MenuMeters on Sierra, a fork from https://member.ipmu.jp/yuji.tachikawa/MenuMetersElCapitan/ , I have no idea about it working on High Sierra though. I use it in combo with HWMonitor (http://www.hwsensors.com/) , and see little use for iStat these days even if iStat is very "good looking" and probably safer to use than HWMonitor which I only run on a "hackintosh".

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 10.02.04.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 10.02.04.png
    66.8 KB · Views: 12,732

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I use both, and have done since I switched to Mac. Glad Bartender is able to continue as was a bit worried for a while. It's a shame the bar can't be used as the new method means that to avoid excessive mouse movements, you have have the "more" icon to the far right.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Just installed Public Beta of High Sierra and I can confirm Bartender 3 beta works as described.

Can also confirm that High Sierra thus far is pretty bleh. Safari seems...the same.

philipc121

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2009
London, UK
Bartender is no longer able to display the Bartender Bar beneath the menu bar--only within it.

Sorry for being dense — I'm not quite sure I follow this point. I've tried to install the beta of version 3 too see for myself but it won't let me... If anyone has installed it, can you explain/screenshot what this means?

At the moment I have the Bartender icon hidden completely and access it via keyboard shortcut, is that still an option?

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Sorry for being dense — I'm not quite sure I follow this point. I've tried to install the beta of version 3 too see for myself but it won't let me... If anyone has installed it, can you explain/screenshot what this means?

At the moment I have the Bartender icon hidden completely and access it via keyboard shortcut, is that still an option?
Instead of the bartender menu popping up under the toolbar, it becomes the right side of the toolbar. Select the bartender icon again and it goes back to the toolbar.

If you are on high sierra, make sure you go to the bartender creator's blog and select the link to sign up for the beta. Then just hit update on the bartender menu and it will update.

Not sure about the keyboard shortcut but I can't imagine that would be gone. I can check later.

Reactions: t1meless1nf1n1t

RGPphotog

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
Orlando FL
Why... What could 6 offer over 5?

I love istat, but I'm not given a good reason to upgrade....

When it comes out you can try it to see if you still feel that way, and make your choice. For me, I'm running the 6 betas, and I already paid them for the family pack upgrade.

philipc121

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2009
London, UK
Instead of the bartender menu popping up under the toolbar, it becomes the right side of the toolbar. Select the bartender icon again and it goes back to the toolbar.

If you are on high sierra, make sure you go to the bartender creator's blog and select the link to sign up for the beta. Then just hit update on the bartender menu and it will update.

Not sure about the keyboard shortcut but I can't imagine that would be gone. I can check later.

Thanks for that!

Reactions: pdaholic
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.