Bartering/Haggling

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacsAreBetter\, Jan 21, 2011.

1. MacsAreBetter\ macrumors member

MacsAreBetter\

Hey,

I'm going to purchase a MacBook-pro soon; and I need advice on bartering/haggling. I've been doing it for ages with guitars, and I've been really successful.

But computers are a different story; so I need some advice. How could I get the value down drastically?

(Please no 'wait for next MBP' posts)

2. dolphindolphin macrumors regular

People rarely have success bartering at Apple stores. You might get lucky though, and get a case or something like that.

3. MacsAreBetter\ thread starter macrumors member

MacsAreBetter\

What about 'certified retailers'?
    I live in Australia so we've got plenty of those.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If you are buying new... forget it
    If you are buying used from an owner, then barter

5. vipergts2207 macrumors 68000

vipergts2207

You won't get anywhere at an Apple store just like you wouldn't get Gibson to send you a Les Paul for cheaper than they're already selling it.

At an authorized reseller you may have a tiny bit of luck, but you won't get the price reduced "drastically."

6. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

Bartering with the apple store simply just does not work, no matter how many times ive tried they NEVER give...

7. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

"Drastically" isn't going to happen on an Apple product unless you're buying from a family member or it's busted. My best advice would be to buy a refurb or scout out good deals on craigslist if you're confident in your ability to check functionality on MBPs.

8. aCondor macrumors 6502

An effective bartering technique I picked up abroad entails slipping the product under a shirt and making a break for the exit.

9. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

Pmsl :d

10. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I've employed this method for years. I haven't paid for a new computer in about 7 years. Ok, I kid, I kid. I just make my employer give me computers.

11. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

There trained not too. Its not even as if its at the sales guys discretion. Steve Jobs says X amount of money or no. Even with the iPhone its X amount of money or no.

12. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

Well I can say I've gotten the price down on my macbook pros at the apple store, by 50$ since I showed them another place that sold it at that price, and got the free ipod touch with it, 1049+ tax at that point. I also convinced the sales guy to sign up for a credit card though... and happened to also buy an ipad from him at the same time.

But seriously the best price is going to be microcenter if you want the 13 inch mbp at 999

13. Mars2010 macrumors member

One of the best deals is the back to school promo...you get money off the computer and a free iPod...not sure whether you want to wait that long.

After a refresh, the older Macs are usually discounted. Also, there may be haggle-room with opened boxes at retail stores. Used Macs do not depreciate like PCs, from what I've observed.

14. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

But if you go to best buy... you can barter the shirts off their backs :D

15. deeesea macrumors 6502

Since when? when i worked there, we were told not to ever let customers haggle. ESP for new products, the only way to get them some discount is if they were going to buy a service plan

16. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

Well bestbuy has some lea way as to what they can throw in is what i mean, not the whole laptop obviously, but as you pointed out if you go in and buy the ESP on the unit then they are more inclined to throw in free stuff like a mouse and case and software.

17. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

True - they will come down if you buy a service plan, then return the service plan. Note that they typically discount the item, not the service plan - since the SP general limits total liability to what you paid for the item.

So when the sales person says - if it breaks you get a new one what he really means if it breaks and the new one doesn't cost more than what you paid for this one...

So, as long as the plan is returnable, make sure you buy the most expensive Black Tie plan as long as the sales person can cut you a better deal on the product.

18. old-wiz macrumors G3

The resellers don't cut the prices that much; Apple does not give them much of a margin in the first place. there was a thread on the forum recently about someone wanting to become an Apple reseller, and after going around a bit he decided not to cause he found out the margin was too small to make enough money on it. If Apple's price for a MBP is $1199 and the reseller pays $1120 for it, you aren't going to get much of a discount.

19. deeesea macrumors 6502

Yeah, now i don't remember if those plans were returnable, I think they were, they should be. but I don't quite rmb if that was the case.

20. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Generally, state law covers that - most require pro-rated refunds.

BB policy is:

In order to receive a full refund on a PSP or a PRP or a Geek Squad BTP Plan, you must return your Plan within 30 days from the date of purchase (noted on the receipt for store-bought items, and on the order confirmation page for online purchases). For plans returned after the product return period, refund amounts will be prorated based on purchase date (see our Return Policy for more information).