Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Base 13-Inch MacBook Pro vs. MacBook Air

hudson1

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
The touchbar is a disadvantage. Sorry, not sorry.
How can this feature make something worse? All you have to do is put a piece of tape over it if it annoys you.

Unless... the lack of physical function keys is the problem. If that's the issue then just state it as such.

Comment

fbr$

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2020
Base 13-Inch MacBook Pro vs. MacBook Air vs. Keep Money

Guess who wins...

Comment

fbr$

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2020
Hmm - my 2015 MacBook Pro (i5) currently has a 720 single core, 1594 multi-core Geekbench score. The computer runs everything I current need very well - I don't do video editing or games. The MacBook Air scores suggest that I could be fine even with an i3 2020 MacBook Air for several years if I bump it up to 16G RAM - does that make sense?
Great minds think alike! I was thinking about the same thing as you, buying an i3 16GB.

I watched on a video comparison that the i5 gets hotter than the i3, both doing the same tasks.

Comment

mistasopz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
How can this feature make something worse? All you have to do is put a piece of tape over it if it annoys you.

Unless... the lack of physical function keys is the problem. If that's the issue then just state it as such.

Lack of physical function keys, lack of tactile response, worse battery life, having to look down to control something when it could just as easily be on the screen. It increases the price, and complexity; another potential failure point in the product. It's one of the dumbest things Apple has introduced in recent memory. Years in and it's still gimmicky garbage.

Comment

TechieGeek

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
Lack of physical function keys, lack of tactile response, worse battery life, having to look down to control something when it could just as easily be on the screen. It increases the price, and complexity; another potential failure point in the product. It's one of the dumbest things Apple has introduced in recent memory. Years in and it's still gimmicky garbage.
Agreed. Looks cool in marketing materials, but actually terrible to use. It freezes a lot (I've had three laptops with it), and the most frequently used areas get worn out and start looking gross (the brightness and volume area, in my case).

Comment

komone

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2013
Apple are so doing their own profit thing now, I don't care about them, worse, I don't care about their products, announcements, or even the commentary provided by this website. I'm sad for what was, and could have been.

Reactions: TakeshimaIslands
Comment

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
Agreed. Looks cool in marketing materials, but actually terrible to use. It freezes a lot (I've had three laptops with it), and the most frequently used areas get worn out and start looking gross (the brightness and volume area, in my case).
That doesn't sound good. What do you mean by worn out? Does it have a coating on it that wears off like on the screens?

Whilst I've never owned a MBPro with a touchbar, my lab have a few, and I've played with it in store. The Touch Bar is the one thing that would make me choose a 2020 MBAir over a 2020 MBPro. Which is crazy.

It just looks inconvenient to use. Displayed text (to my eyes) appears blurry on it, and the contrast/brightness of it is wrong compared to how the physical keys look. I wish they would ditch it.

Comment

macfan90

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2014
MacBook Air has better looking bezels. For a pro version , you think that would “look” better.

Comment

IG88

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2016
8th or 10th gen MBP?
10th Gen MBP.

I ordered the 2020 MBA at i5 4C / 16GB / 512, wanted an Air for weight / battery life. I didn't realize the fan wasn't connected to a heat pipe until after I ordered. Started watching vids of the Air running at 100C too easily / too early / too often. 10th gen MBP spec'd similar was $300 more, MBA just didn't make sense anymore.

Last edited:
Comment

aero7

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
The real bottom line is:
Each of those laptops has a way lower single core geekbench score than Apple‘s $400 entry level phone.
And most of those laptops have a lower multi-core score than the iPhone SE. I don’t even...

Reactions: makitango
Comment

lewchenko

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2004
Ive spent ages trying to decide whether to get a new 2020 Air (i5/16Gb/512) or a 10th gen MBP (i5, similar spec). The MBP is obviously a bit more money. My current mac is a 2013 retina MBP (dual core, 16GB, 512) And for lighter use I have an 11” iPad Pro & smart keyboard.

Ive gone back and forwards on it numerous times. This thread is useful , as have the others.
My thoughts are as follows :

• The Air will thermal throttle & rev up the fans at times and I will feel I made a bad call. I think Apple made some really poor thermal design choices with the Air, even if its ok most of the time.
  • The fact that Apple dims the Air screen in MacOS deliberately (yet 542nits measured in Windows via Bootcamp) actually sickens me.
  • The Touch Bar doesn’t bother me. The MBP is probably slightly overkill for my needs (media consumption, web, coding and development). It’s also very expensive, but on the other hand would probably last me a good 6 - 7 years. Much better thermal design too.
  • I wont consider the 8th gen MBP. Not paying all that money for old tech.
  • I even looked at the New Dell XPS 13 as it looks gorgeous (no bezel screen, better processors), but found too many instances of thermal & reliability issues.
So after countless hours I’m thinking of just keeping my 2013 MBP a bit longer, and putting the money saved towards either an iPhone 12 upgrade or watch 6 upgrade later this year or upgrading my iPad to this years 12.9“ version with that new fancy (ridiculously priced) keyboard.

Or if the world really does go down the toilet due to the virus, buy NOTHING!

Comment

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
So you really expect a buyer only wants to get three years out of their Apple laptop?

No. My point is that if lower quality panels last three years, then higher brightness on Apple's higher quality panel should not adversely affect its lifespan. Again, Apple is artificially limiting its hardware in order to segment its product line.

Comment

MacBH928

Contributor
May 17, 2008
If someone like me who has been following Apple for 20 years or so is having a hard time telling the difference between Apple laptops, imagine how the average consumer is feeling. I can not understand this business strategy where they release things too close in spec to each other.

There is a video of Jobs stating this exactly in 1997 saying that Apple had a mac lineup that even he couldn't tell whats the difference between each model.

We just bought the base $999 Air for my wife, and it's really a fantastic little laptop. Blows the doors off my ancient Macbook Pro.... :p

We opted not to spend the extra $100 for the i5; she literally just uses the thing for browsing, job hunting, absolutely nothing that's going to tax it. My favorite feature is the keyboard; it's actually very similar to my old Macbook's pre-butterfly keyboard. Over the moon Apple ditched those things.

If anyone has any questions, shoot! We took advantage of a Best Buy sale and got 50 bucks off, to boot.

How ancient is your macbook pro? I really have doubts the new macbooks are much faster than the 2015, CPU's haven't advanced so much.

tchotchke

You have to see Tim's face when he launched the TB macbook, he thought he was making history, it was akin to Jobs revelaing the first ever Macintosh or the iPhone. He really believed it. Honestly, I too can see how this can be big its just bad implementation IMO.

Reactions: TakeshimaIslands
Comment

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
All I can tell you is that in corporate America, the Macbook Pro wins over the Air, at every company I know of that will issue employees a Mac as an option.

This includes places that used to issue a 13" Air as standard from 2012-2017 or so.

I think from a business standpoint, the Pro has the better performance - and for the small cost difference, that's the way to go. The styling is meaningless (corporate issued laptops are not likely to go with such options as a gold finish).

Comment

ijbond

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2006
Funnily enough in my country they'd charge $250 for the i5 upgrade… This is like so unfair. Do you guys not include the VAT or what's going on?

Wrong. You didn't read the specs.

For example in Europe:
i3 standard offering = 1200 Euro
i5 standard offering = 1500 Euro, BUT it includes a faster and much bigger SSD

If you buy at Apple, you can choose the i3 standard offering and (in the second step) change it to an i5 cpu (surcharge 50 Euro) and you end at a total of 1250 Euro.

Comment

BeatCrazy

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2011
I would hate to see what it's like running a 6K display off a MBA. My 2018 13" quad core MBP is just barely good enough to run a 4K display. Just because the specs support it doesn't mean it would be a good idea to buy that laptop to drive a 6K
Something must be broken with your MBP. I have the LG 27UL850-W 4K HDR monitor, that I easily drive with my 2018 13" quad core MBP as well as my 2017 12" retina MacBook, both at full 4K/60Hz. No lag or dropped frames, especially with Mission Control and other macOS animations.

Comment

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Something must be broken with your MBP. I have the LG 27UL850-W 4K HDR monitor, that I easily drive with my 2018 13" quad core MBP as well as my 2017 12" retina MacBook, both at full 4K/60Hz. No lag or dropped frames, especially with Mission Control and other macOS animations.

I didn’t say it doesn’t work, I said it barely works. Most of the time it’s fine but if I scroll too quickly there will be some lag. If I even think about opening a graphics heavy program like Google Earth the fans are going before the map even finishes loading. It has been fine for my uses but I know the cracks would show with a much less powerul laptop with no active cooling. I’m using the LG Ultrafine 4K btw.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.