Base 13" Mac book with retina or 13" Mac air

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FOX160, Mar 29, 2013.

1. FOX160 macrumors regular

Hi Guys
    need advice I have a 2011 Mac Book love it
    But looking at the Mac Book 13" base model with retina display
    also like the top Mac air but was thinking of upping the memory
    to 8 gig so where do I go from here ?

2. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

3. FOX160 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you Or30
    Only trouble is I am in England but a deal clincher.

So the Retina is better than the Mac Air screen cool thank you
    for the reply

4. B..., Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013

B... macrumors 68000

B...

The retina is better than the Air in every way except for weight. If portability is super important above all else, the Air is a better choice. For all other criteria, the retina is better if you can stomach the price.

The retina screen is much better in both quality and resolution. It is 2560x1600 vs 1440x 900. It is an IPS display instead of a TN panel.The IPS has better colors, less glare than a regular screen and better viewing angles.

5. themadrussian macrumors regular

I would get the Retina.

Although the Air is marginally cheaper (and the difference is smaller if you have an education discount - $100 off the Retina but only $50 off the Air), it is not as high quality - the screen is, of course, not in the same league, and the hardware doesn't feel as refined (this is just a personal preference, though).

The Air is lighter by ~0.6 pounds, but a laptop is not a device that you use while holding it in the air (like you would with an iPad or an iPhone). The weight difference will only matter when transporting it, and you won't really notice that difference (or it won't matter).

6. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

as others have said, the air is great for portability. i have a 13" macbook and it is cumbersome compared to my 11" air. if that doesn't matter, than the rMB is the way to go.

7. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

i would actually wait for haswell, you have a 2011 mbp, really there is no need to get a new one so soon.

8. nando4 macrumors regular

13" rMBP has a 74Wh battery or 48% larger than a MBA. 13" MBA has a 50Wh battery. Meaning, the rMBP can see noticably longer battery life. REF: 13" retina Macbook Pro Review comparison chart near the bottom.

If you can afford it, the rMBP is the way to go. Better yet, if you are OK with the slight increase in footprint and weight then the 15" rMBP offers a quad-core and GT650M dGPU giving a stack more performance.

9. lenkeyth macrumors newbie

The retina in the future

I work as a web developer and therefore the super-highres screen is pretty much a must-have, or i think it will be very soon. For regular users there is not always that need. So i think it comes down to the extra battery vs the slim size.

10. maxosx macrumors 68020

I have both.

The Air is my favorite by far. None of the first generation problems most Macs have, the Air is fast, fun & ultra reliable.

If you notice the price keeps dropping on the 13" MacBook Pro Retina. That's very rare for an Apple laptop. Perhaps that's an indication that people are not willing to risk it.

The second generation MBP retina will be far better as usual. That's the one I'd wait for. Buy the Air now. You'll love it. And if not, resale is terrific. Use it till the new improved retina is out, then sell the Air.

You'll be very glad you did. :D

11. ratboy90 macrumors 6502

ratboy90

I'm having the same problem debating right now. Started out wanting a retina but the problems with the screens are putting me off it.
    Still haven't decided yet so any more input would be greatly helpful.

12. Rocketpaul macrumors regular

from what i have gathered the 13 inch version doesn't have as many issues as the 15.

13. BlueHusky macrumors member

BlueHusky

Definitely rMBP 100%.

I just moved up from an Air. The rMBP is such an amazing computer.

14. Robster3 macrumors 68000

15. rpg51 macrumors 6502

rpg51

13 inch retina is terrific. I just moved up from Air. Air is nice but it is a bit fragile and the retina size and weight is not all that different. It is a small and light computer. Screen is to die for. I have no issues with mine at all.

16. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

Once you use a retina screen, everything else sucks.

I have the 15" retina and it travels quite well. I carry it along with my work-issued Lenovo X230t and it's no problem at all.

Only get the Air if you positively need a featherweight machine. The retina versions of both the 13 and 15 are very light and thin compared to older generations. Perfectly portable and the screen makes them so worth it vs. the Air.

17. Sech macrumors member

I did the same. I don't see myself going back.

18. Mercmanman macrumors member

Same here. no going back to Air once you see the retina screen...and the rMBP is faster in day to day use for those times you peg the processor on occasion.

19. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Ditto. Had a 2012 11 inch air, returned it. Bought the 13 inch air, returned it.

The 13 inch retina pro IMO is nearly as thin/light as the Air. The difference was minimal to me in size/weight (I actually prefer the retina pro keyboard and even dimensions vs the tapered design of the air).

The retina screen, specs, etc, are all vastly better as well.

20. Fireball Dragon macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

Got a 13" MBA in June 2012.

Sold in October and gor 13" rMBP.

Go for the retina, it provides a far richer computing experience IMO.

21. RickG macrumors regular

i have had no issues with my 13rMBP - that being said if you can wait for the next version I would have to encourage you to do so- this goes for any consumer item- I waited and waited for the new 13 pro and come very close to getting the Air- I have set up two Airs recently and they are great computers no doubt- I think that the resolution and battery life make the 13 rMBP the best of the best- I believe that its always good to skip the first generation of any product when possible but the 13 rMBP bennifited greatly from the first run of the 15 rMBP so there you go- get the rMBP- you won't regret it...