Base 13" MBP or workstation GPU running Solidworks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RolandVet, Jun 12, 2011.

1. RolandVet macrumors member

Hi guys,

I'm debating between buying the low end 13" MBP or a HP that's got a i7 2630QM and a ATI FirePro gpu. I'm going to take this thing to university (Mechanical Engineering) and will be running MatLab and Solidworks. Now I'm not afraid of performance issues with MatLab but Solidworks is scaring me. Does Solidworks run reasonably well on the MBP or should I invest

2. AML225 macrumors regular

SolidWorks 2010 ran great on my 2006 2.0GHz core duo MBP in windows 7 bootcamp. This was the full blown version with CFD and tool path packages not the student version either. If you're using it for a class I'm guessing you're not going to be doing assemblies with 100s of parts. You'll be fine.

3. RolandVet thread starter macrumors member

(Bump)
    Hey, thanks! That sounds very promising! Is there no MAC OS version of solidworks?

Could I also hear experiences from others?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire

4. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Also consider the Acer TimelineX series. They are very good, speedy laptops. The better ones come with dedicated GPUs that can match all but the very best desktop GPUs.

5. RolandVet, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011

RolandVet thread starter macrumors member

The GPU in the laptop in the I'm considering outperforms the majority. (FirePro M9590, equivalent to the 6770M)

But yes, I'm also considering other options.

6. RolandVet thread starter macrumors member

What would yield a greater bonus in solidworks, a Vertex 2 SSD or a M9590? Or would it be reasonably equal?

7. RoyalFlushAK(s) macrumors member

SolidWorks on my iMac runs like a nuclear bomb

I'm running SolidWorks on my iMac using WinXP-Pro inside Parallels and it runs great. I'm doing consulting jobs for medical companies, (mechanical design of tools and instruments). Well, the iMac handles all the design with 100+ parts assemblies with no problem. I also installed a SSD and now it runs even faster.

RoyalFlush,

8. Muzz112 macrumors member

I've been running Solidworks on my iMac through bootcamp for the last three years whilst completing my BSc (Hons) Product Design degree and its been great. However if I was buying a new computer to use for Solidworks I wouldn't be buying a Mac.

If you look at the Dell XPS range, for the same price as the entry 13" macbook you can get a 15" with the better quad i7 processor 8gb ram and 2gb dedicated nvidia gfx.

I know that it wouldn't come with OSX or in an Aluminium Chassis, but it would be a much better investment for doing CAD!

All the best with your degree, but from experience of using CAD at degree level, I would say buy a PC as it is far superior for the job!

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I really don't think anything you do in Saladworks student wise will demand a high octane box. And for the really high octane stuff you'll probably have access to a lab with the appropriate hardware and such. It'll be fine. I've made multi part models and it was smooth as silk.