Base 13" Retina Macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Michael Bryce, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Michael Bryce macrumors newbie

I really want to get the 13" retina Macbook pro but my main concern is the space with that 128gb ssd. Right now on my HP laptop, music is about 11gbs and all videos (tvshows/movies) is like 21gb, photos are like 2gbs. Those three things are where most of my space goes to. For programs, i really mainly use skype, utorrent, winrar, vlc, microsoft office, and iTunes. My video collection wont rise that fast since id rather buy blu rays but music will rise fast, so im wondering if 128gb is big enough because i was watching MobileTechReviews review of the 13"rMBP and she only had 84gb on hers with only Diablo and Photoshop additionally installed.

2. Maczor macrumors regular

Then wait a bit more until you gather some money for the 256GB SSD upgrade.
    If it's not a mega-hyper-giga rush, then I don't see a problem anywhere.

3. Michael Bryce thread starter macrumors newbie

The thing is i will have enough money for the 256gb version but after tax that will add up close to $2300 and im trying to save as much as i can but still have that sexy screen.

4. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

can always throw a big sd card in there for file storage.

5. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

here is a guess, why dont you wait a bit, for places like owc to come up with a sata cable that works, so you can put a 256gb SSD in there, owc also sells the enclosure for the SSD that comes within.

Also people could try using their sata cables from the cmbp

6. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Then buy the 15".

The 13" is equipped with a sucker price. That is so Apple can continue to sell the egregiously priced "classic" models with their profit margins which must exceed 60% given the four year old design.

7. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

You seem to know your storage needs so clearly the base model isn't good enough. Use your wallet to tell Apple that 128GB isn't enough and don't buy something that isn't right for you.

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

If you want to save as much money as possible wait for the second revision of the 13" rMBP next year. They'll almost definitely cut the price when they've been out for a bit because they'll be able to produce them for less - Just like the MacBook Air. The first model was really, really bad value. But now it's pretty great value :)

9. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Dude.

The only way that works is if Apple isn't selling the "classic" MacBook and the Air models at anything close to expected sales volume.

Lowering the price of this Retina to $1,299 puts an end to selling the old models which have extremely fat profit margins that continue to grow.

10. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Will that screen still be "sexy" six months from now? Have you looked into a refurb anti glare hi res cMBP?

11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Well the cMBP probably isn't going to be around for too much longer anyway. Once the rMBP has decent pricing and they can produce them in large amounts the cMBP will have no place.

12. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Why won't the "classic" be around?

Sure the Retina models will become cheaper to produce, but the classic models are four years ahead on that score. The profit margins on the classic MacBook laptops are huge and can get larger still.

13. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

If you plan to store all your music and pics on your computer, my bet is you will eventually use up the space. I found that I don't need all my pics on my computer, so I keep them on an external. As far as music, I uploaded all my music to google music so I can access it anywhere with wifi, keep several gigs of my favorites on my computer, and have it all on a hard drive. If that's too much of a compromise for you, you might want to upgrade to 256gb.

Another option is to go with the 128gb and add a 128gb SD card. They also come in 64gb for about $50-60, just leave it in your SD slot for additional storage:

http://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Profess...=UTF8&qid=1351480836&sr=8-1&keywords=256gb+sd