Base 15" MacBook Pro RAM question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theking79, Nov 29, 2012.

1. theking79 macrumors 6502

I am about to buy the base 15" MBP and I'm about wondering a few things.

I am thinking of ordering it with the 8GB of RAM option, and then putting in another 8GB myself to make it 16GB. So here are my questions:

Can the base MBP have up to 16GB in it like the retina?

If i choose the 8GB option, does it come with two 4GB sticks or one 8GB?

Can anyone recommend an 8GB stick for the mid 2012 MBP (im in the UK) that they have had a good experience with?

Am I better off buying it with the stock 4GB RAM and getting two 8GB sticks myself?

Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes. You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:
    It comes with 2 matching sticks, which you can replace with 2 matching sticks of higher capacity.

3. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Yes.
    2x4GB.
    Cheapest two 8GB sticks available to from a decent manufacturer (Crucial / Corsair / G.Skill / OWC / PNY / Patriot etc.) that meet the proper specs.
    Absolutely better off.

4. theking79 thread starter macrumors 6502

is the crucial RAM 1600Mhz like apples stock RAM?

5. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Crucial makes the best ram dont upgrade via Apple just upgrade via crucial costs 80 bucks and yes they go up to 1600 though the mac supports up to 1868 or something like that

6. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Whatever the price of RAM, It's cheaper to not buy from Apple, and the installation's no big deal. If money's no object, go for 2X8GB right away. Otherwise you might consider just upgrading with one 8GB stick and see how far that takes you.

As you can see from my sig, I'm still working with 8GB and (although usage may vary) it usually takes you pretty far.

RGDS,

7. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Yes, 8GB is plenty unless you are running a 10.8.2 and a VM or two with moderate workload, in which case it can get a little tight.

8. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Touché.
    I admit I'm not on ML yet, but when running (and actually using) WinXP and Leopard server in Parallels simultaneously (which admittedly i do not often do), the 8 GB is a limitation.

Thenagain, there's nothing in the OP, which points to needs like that...

RGDS,

9. Ccrew macrumors 68020

It has 2 slots, so you'll get 2x4gb if you order with 8gb. Upgrading you'll have to pull the original DIMMs. If the upgrade to 16gb is your intent don't order the ram upgrade w/the purchase. Your machine technically has a chipset that supports 32gb, although there are no 16gb DIMMS out there to try to see. So right now yes, it will support 16.

Since you got a lot of opinions without your questions answered there ya go.