Base 15inch w/ 6490M & Final Cut Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mcbiz, Feb 27, 2011.

1. mcbiz macrumors newbie

Any Final Cut editors out there give the new base 15inch a spin in the editing room? I got one coming and will report back here on wednesday, but I'm dying to see how this thing performs.

anyone care to post your experiences here?

2. smetvid macrumors 6502

I would also like to know. Considering I have had a decent time working with my Nvidia 9400 I do expect it to be much better. In fact even the Intel 3000 is better.

In terms of cpu the difference between 2.0 and 2.2 is pretty small so I doubt you would have really noticed.

I look forward to your review once you get your 15"

3. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

Thank you for doing this! I'm very curious to find out how the base 15 performs - particularly the graphics card when it comes to running motion and color?

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to these graphics cards. Everyone is gripping about the base 15. I get that it might not be the best gaming card. But I wonder how it performs using the entire Final cut suite

4. mcbiz thread starter macrumors newbie

so far so good!
    really happy with how this machine performs in final cut.

so far it seems faster than my i3 27inch iMac and my old i5 Macbook Pro 2.4ghz.

I've tested rendering video while working in photoshop, playing tracks in Traktor and running chrome and a few other apps, so far no hiccups or holdups while rending prores HD videos.

Loving this new machine.

Hi Res 2.0 i7 15inch with 4gb ram and 500 5200rpm hard drive. Definitely going to upgrade the ram and put in an optibay in the near future, but right now, super pleased.

5. mcbiz thread starter macrumors newbie

I also use the video software Modul8 for live video performances and this machine screams with tons of effects turned on and multiple layers turned on.

definitely faster than any other mac I've used, next to a mac pro tower.

6. billgates99 macrumors regular

AFAIK, FCP doesn't benefit as much from the video card (compared to Premiere CS5, for example) because there is no GPU acceleration. All the rendering is processed by the CPU. you might see some benefit in Motion, however, in going with the 6750, if you use Motion a lot.

This may change with the new FCS update within the next few months - hopefully it will include GPU acceleration and (mother of god, finally please) 64-bit executable.

7. mcbiz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yah, I don't really use Motion all that much and my gaming days are long behind me, so all in all the slower video card isn't that big of a deal to me.

I'm also very much looking forward to the new Final Cut and new software in general that's built to take advantage of these sweet new processors.

8. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

You have the system I want. I take it BTO? How long from order date to delivery?

9. smetvid macrumors 6502

That are some things in Final Cut Pro itself that do make use of the gpu. Mainly 3rd party effects. so a gpu could help is some situations but it is pretty rare. I think the gpu also helps with trying to run a full screen video on a external monitor while you edit.

Right now I use FCS on a iMac with the Nvidia 9400 and it works perfectly for editing HD video and even the Intel 3000 spanks the Nvidia 9400.

I have used Motion a bit on my machine and while the live preview isn't super fast I wouldn't exactly call it a deal breaker either. By lowering the RT playback quality to 1/4 I can usually still pull off full framerates in Motion even on my Nvidia 9400. I expect the 6490 to be much better.

The one thing I was wondered is just how optimized Motion really is with a gpu. I once compared similar template projects at the Apple store on a system running the Nvidia 9400 and one running an Nvidia 9600. The 9600 was a bit faster but then again so was everything on that 15" computer. I didn't really notice a massive difference in RT performance.

10. mcbiz thread starter macrumors newbie

I placed my order the day they were announced, the 24th? and it arrived on the 1st. Considering it came all they way from China, I was very impressed with the turnaround time.