Base 2.0 15" w/ antiglare or 2.2 15" w/ nothing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by turnstylez18, Feb 25, 2011.

1. turnstylez18, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011

turnstylez18 macrumors regular

Canadian Prices Here!

Which would you choose? I really like the anti-glare but the gpu on the base 15" is what worries me.

Base 2.0 15" w/ antiglare
    $1849 + $150 = $1999

or

2.2 15" w/ no add-ons
    $2049 education discount (not a student)
    (reason: I know it's wrong but the apple store rep asked if I was a student and he offered to give me discount)

I really can't spend more than $2200/$2300 total before taxes and taxes are high.

So it's either anti-glare or the better gpu. I will use this as an everyday work computer, I work from home. I use the typical office programs, adobe ps, some multimedia like editing hd videos, music, movies etc.

Any suggestions?

2. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

Depends on needs...lots of photo stuff than antiglare.

3. turnstylez18 thread starter macrumors regular

More basic apps than anything...I don't see myself using this for graphic design or even much gaming...I have my ps3...

Maybe photography/video editing apps at the most

4. doingitlive macrumors member

dude cant you just buy one of those anti-glare stickies? its not worth a GPU thats for sure.

5. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

best processor is key for video editing...

i think go for the best processer...i dont have problems with the glossy screens...but many users do

6. turnstylez18 thread starter macrumors regular

prefer not to have the sticker on it....it's tough to swallow if I dont get the better gpu but is spending more for something I'm not 100% sure i'll use worth it?

7. turnstylez18 thread starter macrumors regular

BTW, I have an old blackbook I'm using now. I think it's on its last legs, will the base 15" even be an improvement? I think it's a gma 950

8. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

It will be better than your blackbook but I'd recommend the high end MBP. With the student discount it should fit in your budget including the hi-res screen.

9. turnstylez18 thread starter macrumors regular

thats the thing...I can only get the student discount in store for the high-end 15" making it $2049. If I add on the hi-res screen I will have to get it online without the education discount.

So it's either or

10. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Why is it that you can only get the discount in store? I don't know about Toronto but, most Apple Stores have hi-res models. You could also potentially call Apple to order and get the student discount.

Just a thought

11. turnstylez18 thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried asking but they can't order, only what they have in stock. If it's the hi-res or anti glare, it's usually the highest end model. (That's what they've told me)

12. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

That's strange. In Denver they stock hi-res models, sorry about that.

13. turnstylez18 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your input ace! Anymore suggestions would help

14. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

If you don't care to game, I really like the hi-res that comes with the anti-glare. Have you checked it in person? Really nice. But if you're fine with the 1440x900 then I would get the 2.2 with the really nice graphics, but only b/c I would game lol.

15. turnstylez18 thread starter macrumors regular

I just saw the anti-glare today. It "wow"ed me more than the reg glossy screen.

At that point I knew i wanted it. Also, this will be my main work computer, I will be staring at this screen about 7-8 hours a day.

So I think I want anti glare more than anything. Question is, is it worth paying $450 (w/ taxes) for the higher end.

16. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

I think it's worth it between the bump in processor speed, HDD, and especially the GPU. If you plan to keep this for years I would buy the high end. You won't be disappointed.