Base 2 people: Help! How to install 10.5 Expose in Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by klaxamazoo, Oct 15, 2009.

1. klaxamazoo macrumors 6502

I've been trying to install the 10.5 version of Expose into 10.6 but I don't know enough about OSX to know how to make it work. I've tried installing the package from the 10.5 instal disks using Pacifist but I still the the 10.6 Expose behavior.

If people can get the 10.5, Base 2 Finder working in Snow Leopard it should be possible to get Expose working also. Right? Can anybody knowledgeable people help me out.

Thanks!

p.s. Yes, I know there is a thread on this already. But it as degraded into a flame war and nobody is actually trying to fix it.
    p.s.s. I'm not interested in debating which is better. I'm only looking for help on how to have the 10.5 Expose in 10.6.

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

The reason it's probably degraded to that is that there really isn't a way to do it. The only way it could work would be the method you attempted which doesn't work.

3. klaxamazoo thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure there's a way. I'm just missing one of the components or one of the frameworks.

4. hamis92 macrumors 6502

A Working Solution

First of all - sorry to bump up this old thread! Don't know if there's still demand for this, but here's what I did.

I also didn't like the new Snow Leopard Exposé. I tried installing the old Dock.app from a working installation of Leopard, but that obviously didn't work, so I kept thinking...

The key to the solution is taking the Dock.app from a Snow Leopard beta which did not yet have the new Exposé (10A261 for example). You can extract it from the install disc using Pacifist. Then you just replace the Dock using these instructions:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071031111443331

And there you have it - old-school Exposé right in Snow Leopard. This version of the Dock also has the neat "Assign to Space" feature, and the old white Dock menus. Everything works as far as I can tell.

5. klaxamazoo thread starter macrumors 6502

That's great! Where can I find a Beta Version of Snow Leopard? I wasn't a developer so I don't have any Beta Disks to extract the Dock from.

I'll try the Leopard version and see what happens.

6. klaxamazoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I can confirm that the old Leopard Dock doesn't work.

Does anybody have a Beta Version of the Dock.app? I would love to have the Old Expose back.

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Not going to work. You need the Snow Leopard beta Dock. Perhaps you can PM the guy that has it.

8. deltaiscain macrumors regular

I'm downloading the latest beta of Snow Leopard which still has the old expose. I'll post it as soon as I have it.

9. deltaiscain macrumors regular

Another link for the file here. This is from the 10A380 build, the latest before the dock expose introduction. It also has the scrolling in the stacks.

I hope it's ok that i post a link: Link

10. miknos Suspended

miknos

I'm going to try that one. In case it's better I'll change to your (beta) version.

I'll let you know how it went.

11. miknos Suspended

miknos

It is the same. I just noticed the dock appears to be faster to hide/show (I'm not sure).

Applications minimize to dock (right). I went to Dock Preferences and checked "minimize to application icon" but it keeps minimizing to right (next to trash icon).