Base 2018 15" MBP Throttling & Heats Up faster

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yunuzzz, Oct 22, 2018.

1. yunuzzz macrumors newbie

yunuzzz

Hello everyone. Sorry for the new thread. But this is important to me because my work computer not usable and because of this situation ı have to delay my project's deadlines.

My work MBP is heats up faster then every i've owned Mac Os computer. And its throttling like a hell.
    At first on Mojave every app was crashed, can't quitting apps, can't save files, can't shut down computer so i did hard restart. It was same after restart so I did clean installed to High Sierra mac but no luck. Everything seems same.

I'm using only licensed Adobe Apps and Sketch app.

- When connecting to an external display fans are ramping up to 2500-3000rpm even cpu is idle. I know gpu is switching to AMD when connecting to external display but this temperature & fans not acceptable.

- After Effects can't usable because of throttling and high cpu usage. Can't preview my timeline. My project is usable even my 2012 13" MPB. I can preview 5-6 fps on my old MBP. But not this 2018 6 core MBP. It's not a big project. My 2 core old MBP not even heats up like this in same project.

- etc. etc.

I think something wrong with cpu or gpu?

Please comment After Effects and MBP users.

Do i have to go to Apple?

Attached Files:

2. leman macrumors G3

Sound broken to me. Definitely not normal. I’d return it and get a replacement.

3. yunuzzz thread starter macrumors newbie

yunuzzz

Thank you. I've talked with the Apple today. The guy on the phone take my diagnose reports. And I will upload video of while using apps and after effects. I will post the result here.

And please comment After Effects and 2016/2017/2017 MBP users. What temps do you have while working on After Effects etc.

4. Webster's Mac macrumors regular

Try resetting SMC and PRAM.

To reset SMC, power down your Macbook, and then hold down Shift + Control + Option + Power at the same time for 10 seconds.

Then, reset PRAM.

Hold down Command, Option, P, R, and press the power button. Wait for it to reboot a second time and then release the keys.

5. yunuzzz thread starter macrumors newbie

yunuzzz

Thanks for the reply but i did try them too many times :(

6. Webster's Mac macrumors regular

Ah, sorry to hear that. Definitely contact Apple and have them repair/replace it.

7. yunuzzz thread starter macrumors newbie

yunuzzz

This type of cpu temps & fan speed normal for light usage? I'm working on simple project illustrator file. Do you guys think is it acceptable fan speed? Because my old 2012 13" mbp not working like this. My 2017 fully spec'd not working like this...

2018 Base 15" MBP with high sierra.

What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

8. Premal212 macrumors regular

Premal212

I upgraded from a 2016 MBP 13" and this is a beast compared. Although there isn't any multiprocessing, this is still far faster. I have a 2018 15" Base i7, 32GB, 512GB.

The screenshots are about 5 'real' seconds apart probably about 2 seconds in AE.

At max resolution, let me know if you want any other stats from me.

p.s. Sorry about the big files !

Attached Files:

9. yunuzzz thread starter macrumors newbie

yunuzzz

Thanks for the reply. Can you monitor your fan speed while you are working on After Effects etc.? You can use istat pro or macs fan control.

10. Premal212 macrumors regular

Premal212

They are about the same as yours so I wouldn't worry about fan speed.

But mine only ramp up when I'm previewing, the rest of the time they are idling around 2500rpm.

I have illustrator up most of the time too.

Attached Files:

11. yunuzzz thread starter macrumors newbie

yunuzzz

Thanks for the detailed reply I think 2018 series running little bit hot.

12. Premal212 macrumors regular

Premal212

Yeah, when you just have office open and maybe spotify, its a stable sub 50c. Soon as you ramp up illustrator or after effects it starts getting warm, probably due to the graphics card that starts spewing out heat like no tomorrow.

My only question for you is why your CPU usage was so low when running AE. I've had that a few times and it was usually fixed by a restart / purging memory and cache. But I assume you've tried all of that ?

13. yunuzzz thread starter macrumors newbie

yunuzzz

I don't know i think it's weird. Moreover that screenshots captured while previewing. Maybe because of throttling that app lowering the cpu usage to prevent heat?

But I tracked the cpu usage while using AE it's using same as you usually.

14. Premal212 macrumors regular

Premal212

Ah right good.

Nah, it's definitely not throttling in that sense.

Because its only works on one core, it maximises the turbo boost potential. So thats 4.1GHz for our CPUs, then it throttles a bit to anywhere between 3.2-3.8ghz ... at least for me.

It will only throttle when its hitting 100c, which is a rare case. I mean even when I'm using media encoder, it stabilises at some CPU clock speed and stays there, of course at the beginning it tries to run at 4.1ghz, realises it can't maintain this speed and drops it to a lower stable speed that it can maintain.

15. yunuzzz, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018

yunuzzz thread starter macrumors newbie

yunuzzz

Yeah you're right.

Did you ever connect to external display? When I connect the MBP to external HP 2k display cpu temp is not going below 60C. It stays 60C when even its idle and fans are staying usually above 2500-3000 rpm...

16. Premal212 macrumors regular

Premal212

Yeah, when connected to an external display it's always using the dedicated graphics chip, so my temps are similarly high. If you have a wireless mouse/keyboard I wouldn't worry about it getting hot. These machines are meant to be worked.