Base 21.5 vs 21.5 iMac for a web/graphic designer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nerby, Dec 28, 2009.

1. nerby macrumors newbie

Finally decided to convert after flirting with macs over the years here and there.

My need:
    I will be using the mac for mainly design word stuff with adobe software mainly photoshop, flash and rather rarely after effects. I may occasionally play games but dont really care (i sort of do care but cant let my wife know my true decision criteria:eek:).

Decision:
    I've decided to get the 21.5" iMac for a few reasons (the screen problems are only with the 27" arent they?) and price is an issue after christmas time smashing my bank account.

So as far as work flow as a graphic designer and using adobe software is there a big enough reason why i would spend $400AUD more for 500gb of harddrive and a better graphics card. From what i heard adobe cs4 doesnt use the graphic card all that much (not sure about cs5).

So which one would you recommend?

2. tkboss88 macrumors member

i'm trying to figure it out as well

i am also trying to figure this out. i will also be using photoshop alot... but i would DEFINITELY go for the 27 inch! its 27inches of PURE AWESOMENESS! i think you and i should wait a little before purchasing though. there seems to be problems with BOTH the 21 inch and 27 inch models' screens. i don't know how much it costs in your country, but over here (with student discount) its just a $250 difference between the base 21 inch and the higher one. the difference between the higher 21 inch model and base 27 inch model is only $200. at that price IM GETTIN THE 27!!

3. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

getting a mac now for graphic design is basically wasting your money.

macs used to be the defacto choice for graphic work but that is no more. windows 7 64-bit will run photoshop much better/more efficiently. why? because cs4 64-bit is ONLY available for windows. mac doesn't even have a 64-bit version.

4. nuke123 macrumors newbie

5. akutad macrumors regular

akutad

I think you may be looking at things the wrong way. If this is something that brings you income and/or your using this 8 hrs a day then definitely get the 27 inch and future proof yourself as CS5 my take advantage of hyper threading. If you are being paid peace work then get the fastest you can. If your getting paid hourly then get the best you can. I work in HVAC so efficient tools (not necessarily expensive) are important to me since I get paid on what I produce.

If this is a dinky toy that your playing with then get the base model because your broke and you can't afford a toy or even the base model purchase for that matter. You can wait till they start appearing in the refurbished section of the apple online store. I figure we'll start seeing them there soon.

As far as the "screen problems". Don't worry about it. My friend just got a 17" i5 with no problems. Remember you do have a warranty with a new purchase.