Base 27" iMac --- plus 13" MBAir or 15" MBPro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Thares, May 29, 2011.

1. Thares macrumors regular

Thares

Hey folks,

I currently got a brand new high-end 27" iMac here but I will return it as it got pixel faults. And I anticipate that I really don't need the graphic performance.

My problem:
    I am stuck in the dilemma of choosing between the 13" Air and the 15" Pro (anti-glare).

My situation:
    I was thinking about buying a low-end refurb 27" iMac as I really love that huge screen. But I want a portable machine (in addition) as I am traveling to my GF or to my brothers on some weekends. Primary I want to do the following tasks with my computer:
    • Writing essays, reports
    • Building presentations
    • Using SPSS/PASW (under windows I guess)
    • Gaming (at the weekends; e. g. GTA4, Civ 5, Sims 3, Diablo 3, ...)
    • Web surfing, Youtube, watching movies
    • Listening to music

I never had a 15" laptop before. But I looked at the 15" MBP at a premium reseller and I really appreciated its bigger screen size compared to the 13" model. But on the other hand is's of course way heavier and bigger.

I'd love to hear your advices and comments. Please feel free to add your own thought outside of the frame I set up. Even though I get the student discount, I am aiming for a refurbished machine as they are not as expensive.

Thank you for your time!

Daniel

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

For the games you play, you will be better off with the 15" MBP. MBA isn't exactly a gaming monster so especially games like GTA IV would suffer.

3. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

If I were you, I think I would buy an iMac good enough for gaming + an Air. Then you can have the best from both worlds.

4. Thares thread starter macrumors regular

Thares

Hey you two,

thank you for your opinion! A good iMac and an additional Air sounds reasonable. But my concern is that the 13" screen is just too small to work with it comfortably.

Also, I thought about getting a 15" MBPro and a used Apple Cinema Display from Amazon - I'd save over 200 EUR compared to Apple. But in this case I am not sure about the disc space. Because I would like exchange the HDD of the MBP with a SSD. And as we know, large SSDs are nearly unaffordable.

What a pity there's no 15" MBAir out there. ;)
    Again, thanks for your opinion!

5. gmans46 macrumors regular

I just got my 15in and the portability is solid. For storage I chose the stock 128gb ssd and then just threw a 750gb 5400rpm hdd in the optibay this way I have the best of both worlds.
    gmans