Base Alu Mac Book Pro vs 2.4 Alu Mac Book

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gixxerredliner, Feb 9, 2009.

1. gixxerredliner macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

So the high end 2.4 Mac Book is $1599 and the base model Mac Book Pro is $1999. To me if I were to spend $1599 on a 2.4 mac book, another $400 bucks wouldnt be out of the norm. My question is why are so many ppl purchasing the 2.4 mac book when they very well could have a base level mac book pro. Also I know the internal components of both units however the Mac Book Pro has two graphic cards, what would be the purpose of two?

Not trying to be rude or sarcastic but I thought one card was good enough? Is it similiar to a Mercedes S600 that thats a V12 but only 8 cylinders are used unless you really push the thing harder and faster? Just trying to figure out other than the cometics whats the difference between the machines?

2. HazRutter macrumors regular

HazRutter

1) Cheaper
    2) More compact / portable
    3) Not a lot of difference between the two..

All I can think of, also, on the graphics card point, I think it is simmilar to what you said about it being only useful if is pushed, not certain though.

3. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Exactly what that guy says. I was (and still kinda am) deciding between the two, but I am more for the MacBook because of the portability (I need it for school) and I don't really need the graphics which add about 400$ to the price. For the 400$ only thing I gain is the graphics card and expresscard, but I also loose the portability, which i have learned to love so badly on my current MacBook. The more I think about it, it's not really worth it (for me at least).

4. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

The only real advantage that you gain with the MBP is the higher end graphics and express card slot. These items really matter to people that aren't just using their computers for things other than word processing and Internet.

5. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

The MBP also has a FireWire port as a difference. This means a lot to some users. That and the fact that you get a bigger screen.

About the duo graphics card on the MBP, it's mostly there as an energy saving method. If you're using your notebook without the need for high graphics, you can get better battery life by using the lower card.

6. hdsalinas macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

I also want to replace my 2 year old MBP with the new 2.4 MB.

To me the Firewire issue is not that important to me since I am planning on keeping my current mac which does have firewire. So in case I really need it I can still use it.

The express port is nice to have but I have not used it once, it wont be missed.

My only concern is that I would miss out on the better graphics card. I only need it for CS3 / CS4 and imovie. Is the new MB good enough for this?

I assume that this card is better than the one on my 2.16 MBP. Anyways, I dont play games so I dont need the extra horsepower.

7. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Now consider the Macbook Air, it has more limiting spec than the Macbook, AND it's more expensive. Why do people buy them - PORTABILITY.

8. lars666 macrumors 6502a

I think the screen of the MacBook Pro also is a lot better that the one of the MacBook - not only larger, but also of higher quality (viewing angle, picture etc.). Am I correct?

9. gixxerredliner thread starter macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

I totally agree

So with that being said do you think the back lit effect on the 2.4 Alu Mac Book is merely for eye candy? considering how often someone actually looks at the key board when they type or type in the dark?

side bar**

kanye west uses a mac book air to post on his site

www.kanyeuniversecity.com

10. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

That's not quite related to portability, and both base MBP and 2.4 MB have backlit keyboards. Anyhow ...

IMO, the backlit keyboard is like the heated seats in a car - some find it completely useless, some couldn't live without it. It's hard to generalize how useful it is.

11. gixxerredliner thread starter macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

True

Which mac book do you own? Im still debating on which to get but I think im going to get the new white book.

12. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I have a 2.0 MB-Aluminum. I've always been a fan of aluminum from my 12"-PB days. Also, weight and thickness differences do matter to me. But there's nothing wrong with the white MBs. Apple wouldn't keep selling them if there aren't enough people keep buying them. If you like the white ones, buy a white one.

13. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I originally bought the base aluminum MB and ended up returning it for the 2.4. My reasoning, right or wrong, was as follows:

As far as the processor goes, not a huge difference, but it was enough to make me consider it. Will I see actually see that difference? I'm not sure- I use my lappy for a lot of garageband and logic as well as Aperture and a little video. Whether the difference is truly there or just in my head, I feel like it's there. The bigger HD is nice, but I know bigger can be had for comparable pricing. Ultimately I plan on getting a 7200rpm or SSD in there and will put the 250 HDD into my old MB. And the backlit keys, I must say, I love 'em. So, not any one of those 3 things was what pushed me to get it, but the combination of the 3 made the $300 difference quite palatable.

But, the biggest reason for me was the fact that, in my mind I knew I could afford the extra and I couldn't stop thinking that I should have just gone all out. This is going to be my only computer for at least 3 years and I figured I should get the most out of what I could afford. I regretted not going bigger on my last MB and I didn't want to make that mistake again.

I do think that the newly updated White MB is a great computer though, possibly one of the best value per dollar laptops Apple has ever offered.

14. gixxerredliner thread starter macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

Wow

Great post, I really liked it :) i know i could get a 2.4 but i also need a coach for my living room lol tired of using the kitchen table chairs while playing xbox live(call of duty 4 modern warfare) ;)

side bar**

I think im getting the white book

15. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Thanks, G.

I definitely don't think you will regret the white book. I loved mine for almost 3 years and with the recent updates it is a great machine.

And you gotta have a couch! :)

16. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

As others have said, it will boil down to a matter of preference and personal use. For me, the base 2.4 MB is fine, I don't do much heavy video editing and I am not one who plays just-released games. It's small, compact and powerful, and that works just great for me.

17. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

the white book will be fine, and once snow leopard comes out, it'll be even better:)

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Agreed with all of it. On paper, there really isn't much benefit of going with the high-end Alu MB over the low-end MB unless you really want the backlit keyboard, and the ~10% real-world performance gain you get from the faster processor is important. To me, that 10% isn't worth it at all, and I doubt I'll notice even when I'm playing with my Nikon D300's RAW files. I can type in the dark without the backlit keyboard. I know because I've never had a backlit keyboard.

However, you only buy a laptop once in a while, so even though a backlit keyboard and 10% performance gains may not be worth an additional $300, your laptop is something you use every day for hours at a time, and for around 3 years. Personally, I'd rather get what I really want, because I've bought less before in order to save money (despite not desperately needing to) in the past, and it was a mistake. Always.

19. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Honestly. Keep what you have if you wanna use anything involving video. The screen quality in the macbook is pretty bad compared to the Macbook Pro. Also the card in the Macbook pro is probably still superior even though its older.

20. Loccy macrumors member

The thing is, I've never really reckoned the MBA. When all's said and done it isn't actually that portable. Yes, it's about one nanometer thick - but otherwise it's still more or less the same dimensions as my Alu MB. Functionally speaking the two models are just as "portable" as each other in that one needs the same size bag to put them in. Granted, it's light, so might be a better bet if, say, one has just come out of a coma and suffered chronic muscle wastage. Otherwise, I don't understand the logic of the Air at all apart from it to look cool.

Now if Apple brought out an Alu-style netbook, I'd be first in line.

21. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

portability was my main concern while I wanted some umph to my macbook as well. The pro sounded like the best choice for me but I hated the 15" size. The specification differences from the white mb to the mbp was significant in the last generation which led me to not buy either. i wanted the specs of the mbp in a white mb and behold...the unibody. it was a nice compromise for the 13" size and power. If they made a 13" pro...i would probably get that instead :p

22. Ploki macrumors 68000

i wanted to get the Mb 2.4
    but i couldnt live without Firewire.. all decent audio interfaces are on firewire
    + the size is just right ;)