Base iMac + iPad OR MacBook Pro/Air

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ianham, Jan 7, 2012.

1. ianham macrumors member

ianham

Hi all, I'm going to be going into my first year of university come September and was wondering what would be the better option for me: getting a base iMac and iPad or getting a high end MacBook Pro or Air instead since both will run about $2000 CAD. I'll be in an Arts and Science program so I won't be doing much video editing and such, mostly just word processing and the like. Thanks for your time!

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

You could probably eek an entry iMac + entry 11" air for about $2k including student discounts. Hmmm, you might go a bit over. Otherwise, I'd go for either the high end Pro or Air.

3. srxtr macrumors 6502a

If you're a student then I'd recommend the MacBook Air. You won't be confined to your room and you can take it around like the library etc.

I'm jealous, I wish I had the option to get a MacBook Air when I went to college.

4. ianham thread starter macrumors member

ianham

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

But I won't be confined using an iPad for note taking and the like either. Am I being illogical if I think I can get away with using my iPad for pages and those kind of programs when I'm away from my dorm, and then using my Mac when I'm there?

5. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

IMO if you get an iPad to take notes, get one of those cases with a Bluetooth keyboard. If you do that combo then I don't see anything wrong with a Base iMac + iPad. I personally would go with the 13" Air since it's lightweight and ultraportable, or the 13" Pro as it's not as lightweight, but still portable and as extra power if you needed it.

6. wassal43 macrumors member

it depends on what are you going to do in the college, do you need a device for note taking and reading OR for words processing and likes if for the first definitely you need an IPad other wise air is the best choice