base Imac or mini server

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cmadness, Aug 17, 2011.

1. cmadness macrumors newbie

I am thinking of getting my next mac but I'm torn between the base iMac and the mac mini server.

I do a lot of photo editing and will start video editing soon so I want to get the best machine for my needs. I do not game at all, and I already have a large display and apple BT keyboard and trackpad.

Here are my pros to each:

mini:
    Has I7 quad core, would go for the 2X750 GB hd so it could keep itself backed up. It's small and can be taken with me if needed.

imac:
    Has I5 quad core but is 2.5 GHz vs. 2.0 GHz of the mini. Has an optical drive and I can run dual displays.

So the money is about the same. I am leaning more towards the mini since it's all I really need but I thought I'd post here for more opinions.

Thanks for the help.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I think You

Have pretty much answered your own question really, if you can't go for the 27" iMac (see my spec below) then I reckon the mini is the best choice for you. A base iMac just won't give you either the real estate or the grunt to do high end photo and video work.

I use mine for just this purpose, but note the upgrade to 2gb video ram, and 8gb RAM.

3. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

In your situation I'd get the Mac mini server.