Base iMac vs RMBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jetblk328i, Dec 17, 2013.

1. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

Just trying to decide if I should upgrade, and if so, to what?

So I'm currently using a Early 2011 13" mbp. I've upgraded the ram and SSD so it's still pretty quick. I usually use it at home hooked up to a monitor but also use the computer's own screen, which is REALLY BAD (resolution-wise). Because of the screen, I've been considering upgrading it. I'm a pretty light user, mostly using stock apps like safari, mail, calendar, and office. Once in a while, I run bootcamp to use Excel more fluidly. Portability wise, I do take my laptop to school about 2/5 days, however, I'll be graduating this summer and my job after school will not require me to be bringing a laptop back and forth. I will probably need quite a bit of Excel so bootcamp/VM is definitely going to be utilized.

Originally, I was looking at either a mid 13" rmbp or a base 15" rmbp but after talking to a friend of mine, he really suggested going for an iMac since I won't need the portability after this next semester and I have an iPad for doing a bit of stuff on the go.

I went ahead and played with all the machines at the Apple store and was pleasantly surprised when the iMac with the 5400 rpm hdd actually wasn't that slow opening and closing programs. And based on my needs, I probably wouldn't need to upgrade.

So I evaluated my options and I think here's what I've got:

1. Buy base iMac 21", keep currently laptop in case: out of pocket $1,150 (Best buy has a sale)

2. Buy mid 13" rmbp using student discount and sell current laptop: out of pocket $1400-700=$700.

3. Splurge and get the base 15" rmbp with student discount and sell current laptop: $1900-700=$1200.

4. Keep laptop, live with the screen and buy PS4?

Anyway, it seems like those are my options, I think my laptop is only worth about 700 despite the upgrades as there are two small dents and the screen is a little bit loose.

Feel free to chime in with other options as well, if you have a good one!

Thanks in advance!

2. krause734, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013

krause734 macrumors 6502

krause734

I vote for the iMac. It is definitely more bang for your buck with a huge screen and it is less likely to get dropped or damaged if it's sitting on your desk all the time. It doesn't have a battery that slowly degrades over time and it should have a longer life than a laptop and maybe better resale value. However if you travel or like to go to coffee shops, the library, etc. you can't drag it with you. Having an ipad for stuff like that seems fine though and you can remotely access your iMac with your ipad if you need to.

3. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

For the tasks you mentioned, it does seem your iPad would be a suitable backup device in case you need to do something on the go, so I would probably also vote for the iMac, since the larger screen would make it much more comfortable to work on compared to even the 15" laptop.

4. jetblk328i thread starter macrumors 6502

That's really cool, how do you remotely access an iMac with an iPad?

5. Unami macrumors 6502a

use a VNC client (e.g. iTeleport) on your ipad to access your desktop on the go