Base iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AppleiBoy, Dec 22, 2011.

1. AppleiBoy macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    Looking at buying an iMac soon. Since the machine's are so much more powerful with quad-core, do you think that the base model would be great for iTunes, iPhoto, Safari and Handbrake for Apple Tv conversions. Or would it be best waiting for the next iteration?
    Thanks, any past experiences with this machine would be great!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have a 27" iMac from the current iteration. You should be just fine, especially if you think you'll need the optical drive - my best guess right now is that the next iteration of the iMac will NOT have an optical drive. I have no experience using Handbrake, so I'll defer to someone else with experience there. That said, my current iMac handles well anything I throw at it - including the things you would use yours for.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

For the uses you described the current base model would be more than enough. New model iMac likely won't be out until May/June time frame and will only be an incremental speed increase. So if you need a computer now, get it.

4. kboyle65 macrumors newbie

I use handbrake on the base model and it works just fine.

5. AppleiBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool! Do you know like an approximate time conversion that it takes to convert a normal length movie?
    Thanks!

----------

Also, does the hard drive bother anyone? Like, is it necessary to upgrade to ssd?

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I wish I could have upgraded to the SSD, but prices are still awfully high... and capacities not high enough to justify upgrading, at least for me.

7. AppleiBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, the prices are too high! Is the hard drive painfully slow at all? I have never used a 7200 drive.
    Thanks!

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

It only becomes a factor for I/O-heavy tasks such as file copy jobs. For normal use, the hard drive is plenty fast.

9. kboyle65 macrumors newbie

Are you talking about ripping from a DVD or converting an already downloaded file? For me to convert a 5 GB movie that is already downloaded on my computer takes about 40 mins, and I don't believe its necessary to convert to an ssd although it is a pretty sweet feature.

10. AppleiBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

Ripping from a DVD :)

11. kboyle65 macrumors newbie

Ahh.. I don't usually rip from DVD's but I assume it shouldn't take too much longer. I don't know... Sorry!