Base level for auto brightness

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Is there a base level for auto brightness and how do you set it? Like in normal daylight inside a room you setup a brightness level and in darker or brighter conditions auto brightness adjusts relative to the room condition. I have tried adjusting the brightness but auto feature somehow changes it to what it wants not what I set.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Eureka! After having jumped thru the min brightness/max brightness adjustment hoops several times in the past year, I followed the instructions in Link #1. (Turn OFF Auto-Bright, drag slider all the way down to least possible setting, go into a dark room and then turn Auto-Bright back ON.) I now have an iPhone 5 & iPad 4 (iOS 6) and iPad Mini-r (iOS 7) all working properly in the brightness department for the first time ever. Thanks. :)

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I've never had problems with auto brightness. Ever.

Don't have to do any calibration or anything special. I have auto brightness on and in a dark room I set the desired brightness.

From then on that is the minimum brightness and it never fails.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
I've never had problems with auto brightness. Ever.

Don't have to do any calibration or anything special. I have auto brightness on and in a dark room I set the desired brightness.

From then on that is the minimum brightness and it never fails.
Lucky you. I've burned my retinas in the wee hours more times than I can count. :( Particularly nuclear when awakened from sleep. :mad:

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Wow. This is the second thing I've learned today. :D My wife and I had given up on auto brightness because it never worked for us. I just did the dark room thing and now I see the slider slowly creep up when I turn on the lights. Sheesh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.