Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac38728

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2024
USA
I’ve been looking at a refurbished M1 Mac Mini, does anyone still currently have one and how is it running? I don’t need anything more than the base model as it’ll only really be used for light gaming and work. Is it worth to buy for around ~$350 or should I get a refurbished M2 or wait for the M3.

Also if you have one, what monitors and keyboards do you use or recommend?

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I’ve been looking at a refurbished M1 Mac Mini, does anyone still currently have one and how is it running? I don’t need anything more than the base model as it’ll only really be used for light gaming and work. Is it worth to buy for around ~$350 or should I get a refurbished M2 or wait for the M3.

I’ve had my M1 since it was introduced. I did go for 16GB RAM and 512 GB of SSD. It runs great with two Dell 27” monitors and a Logitech mini mechanical keyboard. I usually have Tidal/Apple Music, Safari (two windows), Message and Mail open. Along with Photo when I need it.

i do note this usually leaves me with 6GB of RAM free according to Clean-My-Mac.

I don’t use it for gaming. So k can be of no help with tha question.

What is the storage and RAM config of this refurb?

Reactions: MacCheetah3

mac38728

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2024
USA
I’ve had my M1 since it was introduced. I did go for 16GB RAM and 512 GB of SSD. It runs great with two Dell 27” monitors and a Logitech mini mechanical keyboard. I usually have Tidal/Apple Music, Safari (two windows), Message and Mail open. Along with Photo when I need it.

i do note this usually leaves me with 6GB of RAM free according to Clean-My-Mac.

I don’t use it for gaming. So k can be of no help with tha question.

What is the storage and RAM config of this refurb?
8/256, a base model. Would I need 16 even if its light work?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
M1 mini works great. I also have 16/512 because that's what I decided was going to work best for me. 8/256 is fine as long as you have a realistic expectation of what it'll do.

$350 seems reasonable to me. You can get a M2 8/256 on the refurb store right now for $509, so $350's a good discount from that.

As far as monitor - whatever you like. They're commodities now and there are hundreds of options.

Keyboard - I really like the Apple Touch ID keyboard. Super handy to be able to use Touch ID for unlocking, password access, etc. etc. I resisted the Touch ID keyboard for a while, because I had an older Apple Magic Keyboard that was "Fine" so why spend the $$$ on it? Finally got one and I'm glad I did.

Last edited:

i486dx2-66

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2013
My M1 MacBook Air is one of my favorite computers of all time. Even now having a M3 MBA, I reach for the M1 MBA more often than not, and the M1 cpu doesn't hold me back.

That being said, "it’ll only really be used for light gaming and work" is extremely broad... It would be hard for anyone here to tell you if it will meet your needs or not.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
bump this. Also think of getting a base m1 Mac mini. Or is it better to get m2 for light work and to future proof

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
What follows is my opinion only.

I wouldn't buy ANY m-series Mac unless it came with 16gb of RAM.
Say this to yourself 3 times:
16gb is "the new 8"...

Monitors?
I'd suggest 27", 4k. Many choices available at many price points.
I like Dell and Viewsonic.

Keyboards?
(wireless [can be used with their unifying receiver], but I think it also works with a USB connection for those times when you need a wired keyboard)

Mouse?
Logitech -- get one which uses the "unifying receiver".

karatekidk

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
Pacific Northwest, USA
I can't say anything about base M1 mini, but my 16/512 M1 mini has been great for work, watching Netflix and occasional iMovie projects. I use Logitech MX Keys Mini for Mac and MX Anywhere 3 for Mac - they are definitely an upgrade from the 1st-gen Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse I had been using for many years.

Last edited:

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
I have a 16/256 M1 mini with an LG 32 UL500 display and Apple Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad as my productivity machine in my office. It is excellent. The only reason I splurged on 16GB of ram is that on occasion I will fire up a Windows virtual machine. This thing is excellent. I use a WD Blue 1TB nvme ssd in an enclosure to supplement my storage.

I have a 16/1TB M1 13" MBP as my work laptop, and it is up to anything I ask of it as well.

I have base 8/256 M1 Airs in my teaching lab at work, and my wife has one we got for her preK classroom. I've watched her run her portrait photography workflow (one of her side-hustles) on that base model M1 Air, and it handles the work remarkably well. Sure it swaps like crazy but we live in a time where SSD storage is nearly as fast as ram was 20 years ago, so the impact on most tasks is minimal. Apple's base machines are incredibly capable when we do not try to micromanage them or stare at system monitoring applications nonstop. (I can only imagine the backlash if iOS or iPadOS had an Activity Monitor and iStat/Stats equivalents.)

For your stated uses, the base model M1 will handle the work just fine. That said, if you can get one with the education discount, at $499, the base model M2 would be worth the price for the extra couple rounds of MacOS updates those machines will get compared to M1. At this point, I don't believe we'll see M3 minis, and I wouldn't expect M4 minis before the November to January timeframe, possibly October if they launch the M4/M4 Pro simultaneously.

When it comes to the monitor, there are many opinions. If you've only been using Apple retina displays for years, then anything lower resolution may be a nonstarter. If you've been working with a mixture of displays, then 27" 4k and 32" 4k offer some nice compromises. For me, 32" @ full 3840x2160 provides all the screen real estate I need so that I do not require a second display, and mounting it on a vesa arm means I can swing it out of the way or share my screen easily when meeting with others in my office.

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
Have a M2 pro base Mini (for a reference on performance) and a M1 16GB / 256 GB model. The M1 is still extremely good for a work machine, honestly there would be no need to upgrade if all you do is email, document creation, etc.

Reactions: AppliedMicro

Eduardot

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2013
I have a Mac Mini M1, 16gb ram, 1 TB ssd. 3 monitors. One SSD for docs, and one HDD for backup. Keyboard and mouse are logitech, and a Caldigit TS4 Doc. Definitely like Fishrman says, 16 is the new 8.

nickf

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
I have an M1 mini, 16/1 Tb config. I'm usually running Word, Safari, Powerpoint, Kaleidagraph, Zoom, Apple Music and some academic apps on it (Papers, VMD for molecular modelling). I'm not a gamer. The machine doesn't break a sweat; one of the best Macs I've owned. Screen is a 4K 27" Phillips.

mac38728

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2024
USA
bump this. Also think of getting a base m1 Mac mini. Or is it better to get m2 for light work and to future proof
I think it’s between a M1 or M3 for me. The slower read and write speeds on the M2 is disappointing and the actual difference between them isn’t a lot.

Reactions: ipos

mac38728

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2024
USA
I have a Mac Mini M1, 16gb ram, 1 TB ssd. 3 monitors. One SSD for docs, and one HDD for backup. Keyboard and mouse are logitech, and a Caldigit TS4 Doc. Definitely like Fishrman says, 16 is the new 8.
Yeah, I’m looking into 16gb refurbished models now, the real world difference is actually a lot bigger than it seems.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
I have a base M1 Mini 8/256, and it's been great for normal daily tasks since November 2020 when I bought it. Having said that, if I was buying a Mini today I would upgrade to 16GB of RAM simply because I would be buying it for the next four years and I'd want to make sure I had the headroom for any new, future uses (like more advanced photo editing, for example) that I might engage in.

yellowhelicopter

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2020
I've had 8GB model about 2 years now. It's still absolutely great and fast for usual computing. One of the my best purchases ever, given that I bought it just for about 450$ two years ago. I even play some modern AAA titles on it, x86 including, plus it's great for emulation, like Switch emulation.

I've been using an old Sony 32" FullHD TV (with PVA panel) as a monitor :) And Logitech K380 keyboard + Logitech Pebble mouse, both bluetooth and work nice with it.

Also, I don't believe you need 16GB for usual computing. Not even once I felt it lacked RAM, virtual memory is very fast on ASi, but usually even browsing with lots of open tabs and some other apps opened it doesn't need it.

Last edited:
Reactions: mac38728
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.