Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

littlepooch21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Well done…… but in the light of the question you posed at the end of your original post:

Use it for a bit, then let's know, what do you think?

yeah i figure if its not fast enough i can sell it for about what i purchased it for. i won't lose any money.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Many here have been scathing of the base model Mac Mini. They go on about needing power and speed, and their desire for "future-proofing"; methinks, more often about ego and bragging rights, than any basis in real life for many.

LMAO. Ego and bragging rights? Moving up to the mid level mini? A desktop made from laptop parts is about ego and bragging rights? THAT's hilarious. I think it's more about you justifying your purchase and getting butt hurt over other opinions.

My experience has shown me there is no comparison in osx on a spinner and on an ssd. I have windows 10 running on boot camp on the spinner osx came on and it's faster than osx on the ssd. On spinner osx is horrible.

You just do not seem to understand that not everyone wants a desktop below the lowest, base model macbook air. This base model is based on the PAST model macbook air but without keyboard, ssd and monitor. So many people are not going to recommend it as a desktop. Not to mention them releasing a model the same speed as the model 2 years earlier but without any upgrade ability after purchase. Why do you always get your feelings hurt when someone does not recommend it as a desktop? You keep droning on about it.

The next two models up are at least based on macbook pro's. So get over it, you seem very insecure about what you bought. A base macbook air is fine for you as a desktop? Fine, that does not mean it is for everyone and all the whining about other people's opinions is childish. I see not reason to not ignore your posts.

Pooch, the base 2014 is about the same power wise as the 2012 base you had. The 2012 is excellent in that you can put an ssd in it, upgrade the memory and it will blow the doors off that one easily. Cheaper than the mid 2014 model. I do not see apple making any future os's more spinner friendly, in fact and there are more spinners in the macbook air's. They would be too slow.

Right now I am using my 2012 mini as my main computer, but 3-4 months from now I will be picking up either a macbook pro or something with windows 10. Have not decided yet. This one will be an itunes server and I see it lasting a long time for that. I would NOT have another one that has osx on a spinner though, no way.

Last edited:

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I got the 2014 base Mini. I got it to develop eGPUs and thought I could settle for the 5,400 spinner.

I WAS WRONG.

The thing was a festival of beachballs, OS X was paralyzed.

Slapped in an SSD and a PCIE blade, completely different machine.

Those terrified of screwdrivers can use an external USB drive and get an increase.

Reactions: OddyOh

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I got the 2014 base Mini. I got it to develop eGPUs and thought I could settle for the 5,400 spinner.

I WAS WRONG.

The thing was a festival of beachballs, OS X was paralyzed.

Slapped in an SSD and a PCIE blade, completely different machine.

Those terrified of screwdrivers can use an external USB drive and get an increase.

Yep, exactly the same on a 2012 base mini. Beachballs, paralyzed os, freezing.....yet putting an ssd one is for the ego and bragging rights, lmao.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
LMAO. Ego and bragging rights? Moving up to the mid level mini? A desktop made from laptop parts is about ego and bragging rights? THAT's hilarious. I think it's more about you justifying your purchase and getting butt hurt over other opinions.

My experience has shown me there is no comparison in osx on a spinner and on an ssd. I have windows 10 running on boot camp on the spinner osx came on and it's faster than osx on the ssd. On spinner osx is horrible.

You just do not seem to understand that not everyone wants a desktop below the lowest, base model macbook air. This base model is based on the PAST model macbook air but without keyboard, ssd and monitor. So many people are not going to recommend it as a desktop. Not to mention them releasing a model the same speed as the model 2 years earlier but without any upgrade ability after purchase. Why do you always get your feelings hurt when someone does not recommend it as a desktop? You keep droning on about it.

The next two models up are at least based on macbook pro's. So get over it, you seem very insecure about what you bought. A base macbook air is fine for you as a desktop? Fine, that does not mean it is for everyone and all the whining about other people's opinions is childish. I see not reason to not ignore your posts.

Pooch, the base 2014 is about the same power wise as the 2012 base you had. The 2012 is excellent in that you can put an ssd in it, upgrade the memory and it will blow the doors off that one easily. Cheaper than the mid 2014 model. I do not see apple making any future os's more spinner friendly, in fact and there are more spinners in the macbook air's. They would be too slow.

Right now I am using my 2012 mini as my main computer, but 3-4 months from now I will be picking up either a macbook pro or something with windows 10. Have not decided yet. This one will be an itunes server and I see it lasting a long time for that. I would NOT have another one that has osx on a spinner though, no way.

Thanks for the shallow psychological analysis; I guess you didn't bother reading the rest of my post before you made it.

What did I buy?

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Thanks for the shallow psychological analysis; I guess you didn't bother reading the rest of my post before you made it.

What did I buy?

You mean the shallow psychological analysis you made on people talking about ego and bragging rights...referring to a mac mini? I guess you don't even read your own post or you would see hypocrisy at it's finest.

You bought last version base macbook air in a box without the keyboard, monitor or ssd.

It doesn't matter if someone buys the same one as you did, get over it, and nobody buys a mac mini for bragging rights. LOL. The slowest mac out there, except the macbook with a core m processor, for ego and bragging rights. I think most grown up's would shoot higher than that for for massaging their ego and bragging rights. People put ssd's in them so they will run decently, no ego about it.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
You bought last version base macbook air in a box without the keyboard, monitor or ssd.

It doesn't matter if someone buys the same one as you did, get over it, and nobody buys a mac mini for bragging rights. LOL. The slowest mac out there, except the macbook with a core m processor, for ego and bragging rights. I think most grown up's would shoot higher than that for for massaging their ego and bragging rights. People put ssd's in them so they will run decently, no ego about it.

I bought a base model Mac Mini 6 years ago. It remains more than adequate for me.

Make a hot rod of your computer if that's what you really do need, or just desire. I don't give a hoot.

A base model Mac Mini is all the computer many folks need for basic use, as has been proved by the experience of several who have dared post here in the face of the rather vociferous 2014 Mini knockers.

Get over it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTBing
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.